Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Street Suspension/Lowering options

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The DSC controller improves the active dampening. It won’t lower the car though. I haven’t heard one complaint about the DSC from my track oriented friends.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:40 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,066 Likes on 518 Posts

An X73 setup is the perfect way to go for your desires. Like others have said there is a lot of baked in Porsche goodness with this setup. It is so well engineered and the parts all interact with each perfectly. I have a million posts about putting X73 spring and sway bars on my PASM car and then adding the DSC sport controller on Planet-9. The best of both worlds. Great at the track and on the road. It just looks the way the car should have come from the factory. Not too high, and not too low, just right. This is how it looks with a wider stance via front LCAs and rear eccentric bushings.

The X73 package doesn't just lower your car, it turns it into a completely different animal with different and better handling characteristics. The rear sway bar is relatively 30% stiffer than the ratio of the front to rear on the standard suspension, which makes the rear end a lot more lively and rotate much easier. The car feels as one with you when you get on it and are having fun.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 PM
bminingham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
An X73 setup is the perfect way to go for your desires. Like others have said there is a lot of baked in Porsche goodness with this setup. It is so well engineered and the parts all interact with each perfectly. I have a million posts about putting X73 spring and sway bars on my PASM car and then adding the DSC sport controller on Planet-9. The best of both worlds. Great at the track and on the road. It just looks the way the car should have come from the factory. Not too high, and not too low, just right. This is how it looks with a wider stance via front LCAs and rear eccentric bushings.

The X73 package doesn't just lower your car, it turns it into a completely different animal with different and better handling characteristics. The rear sway bar is relatively 30% stiffer than the ratio of the front to rear on the standard suspension, which makes the rear end a lot more lively and rotate much easier. The car feels as one with you when you get on it and are having fun.

do the LCA’s and bushing actually widen the stance? If so, how? Genuinely curious, I know nothing about them and I have an X73 cayman.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:19 AM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bminingham

do the LCA’s and bushing actually widen the stance? If so, how? Genuinely curious, I know nothing about them and I have an X73 cayman.
The GT3 LCA's have internal shims that push out the arm and do almost the same job as external spacers do, except they do not cause additional strain on the wheel bearings. So Tarett Cup LCA's can push out your stance 20mm at the same time add -2.0 degrees camber. With this LCA's the center thrust puck is solid and provides much more control over forward/aft movement on the wheels and the inboard and outboard monoball bearings are much more robust than OEM, providing much greater accuracy in turnin and trail braking. I upgraded to these LCA's to add more camber to prevent outside shoulder tire wear. My surprise was the other benefits they provided. Worth every dollar as they are the foundation of your suspension.

The shim's are hidden from view below between the red inner monoball and the body of the LCA's held tightly by two through bolts. The red thrust puck is solid and have caster and wheelbase adjustments as well.

The new Tarett LCA solid thrust puck changed this forward rub by oem LCA's. No rubbing now.

Last edited by Apex1; 06-26-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

^^Hmm, I like that look with the front LCAs and rear bushings. I was considering spacers to go with the whole package, but the idea of achieving the same look but more function is even more appealing. Can you tell me where you purchased the LCAs and rear bushings and what alignment specs you ultimately went with?

This thread has basically convinced me to just "spring" for the X73 package afterall.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:58 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn

Could you explain what you mean about X73 + PASM + DSC? I have a PASM equipped CS now, and I was under the impression that putting on X73 would involve removing PASM, and I'm weight PASM + DSC vs X73 vs just leaving it alone as-is.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 AM
bminingham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1
The GT3 LCA's have internal shims that push out the arm and do almost the same job as external spacers do, except they do not cause additional strain on the wheel bearings. So Tarett Cup LCA's can push out your stance 20mm at the same time add -2.0 degrees camber. With this LCA's the center thrust puck is solid and provides much more control over forward/aft movement on the wheels and the inboard and outboard monoball bearings are much more robust than OEM, providing much greater accuracy in turnin and trail braking. I upgraded to these LCA's to add more camber to prevent outside shoulder tire wear. My surprise was the other benefits they provided. Worth every dollar as they are the foundation of your suspension.

The shim's are hidden from view below between the red inner monoball and the body of the LCA's held tightly by two through bolts. The red thrust puck is solid and have caster and wheelbase adjustments as well.

The new Tarett LCA solid thrust puck changed this forward rub by oem LCA's. No rubbing now.
Awesome, thanks! I can easily see the LCA's are for the front, do they make them for the rear suspension components as well? I have 5mm spacers all around, and I'd like some more functional poke and stance. Are these LCA's OK for street use? I don't track my Cayman.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:29 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

IMO, adding LCA's for street use only is super inefficient. If the look is what you're after, get wheels with proper offset and/or spacers.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
IMO, adding LCA's for street use only is super inefficient. If the look is what you're after, get wheels with proper offset and/or spacers.
Tarett makes CUP LCA's for f&r axels. What this single foundation piece brings is much more accurate response in turnin, braking, throttle on/off modulation mid corner as the rear end does not move around, Excellant for canyon driving or other high peformance activities. The wear and tear on these LCA's are equal to OEM's and have inside and outside replaceable monoball bushings. They are an upgrade and will interface with your X-73 springs very well.

The install is exactly the same time as the springs, and you get internal spacers up to 20mm which will give you the track width you want and not stress the wheel bearing like external spacers do. Even with -1.6 camber, you should not have any trouble with inside f tire wear as the solid thrust puck and monoballs keep your camber and toe from moving around . The rear can be a little more aggressive to -1.8 camber and mininal toe in. The solid thrust puck will keep your rear toe in line around corners and bumps. I do not think you will need adjustable toe links for your lower spring setup. I have over 18k miles on my daily Michelin's PSS, with the inside shoulders not to the wear bars, with a very aggressive camber setup.

Good luck and show and tell us your results.

Last edited by Apex1; 10-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Deleted post. (duplicate)

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 06-26-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 06-26-2018, 02:20 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Tarett makes CUP LCA's for f&r axels. What this single foundation piece brings is much more accurate response in turnin, braking, throttle on/off modulation mid corner as the rear end does not move around, Excellant for canyon driving or other high peformance activities. The wear and tear on these LCA's are equal to OEM's and have insdie and outside replaceable monoball bushings. They are an upgrade and will interface with your X-73 springs very well.

The install is exactly the same time as the springs, and you get internal spacers up to 20mm which will give you the track width you want and not stress the wheel bearing like external spacers do. As long as you keep the front camber below -1.5 and the toe 0, you should not have any trouble with inside f tire wear. The rear can be a little more aggressive to -1.8 camber and mininal toe in. The solid thrust puck will keep your rear toe in line around corners and bumps. I do not think you will need adjustable toe links for your lower spring setup. I have over 18k miles on my daily Michelin's PSS, with the inside shoulders not to the wear bars, with a very aggressive camber setup.

Good luck and show and tell us your results.
Was that reply supposed to be to me? I already have LCA's with solid thrust pucks and monoball ends, for the track at -2.5. My personal opinion is that going that aggressive and spendy is kind of pointless for a street car, though. It is slightly more precise, but the real benefit is at/near the limit (primarily from the big camber/caster and the increased track), which I hope to not approach a whole lot on the street with bikes/cars/hazards everywhere.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Was that reply supposed to be to me? I already have LCA's with solid thrust pucks and monoball ends, for the track at -2.5. My personal opinion is that going that aggressive and spendy is kind of pointless for a street car, though. It is slightly more precise, but the real benefit is at/near the limit (primarily from the big camber/caster and the increased track), which I hope to not approach a whole lot on the street with bikes/cars/hazards everywhere.
Nope, wrong quote, my message was for bminingham. I get that these upgrades are really intended for the track, due to the cost. But some of my competitors drive their GT3/GT4's on the street, so I dont feel too bad about trying to keep up.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:03 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Nope, wrong quote, my message was for bminingham. I get that these upgrades are really intended for the track, due to the cost. But some of my competitors drive their GT3/GT4's on the street, so I dont feel too bad about trying to keep up.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
Deleted post. (duplicate)
Tidybuoy, I read you question in my e mail in box, X73 suspension is a little more aggressive than the R from a spring rate area, not sure about the shock rate though. The X73 swaybar is definately stiffer than the R bar or 987 S bar. I would not put that bar on my car, especilly in front. The rear is easy to change, but if you need adjustability, I would get the Tarett GT front and rear bars. No real need for down links without any way to change the ride height of your car after the R install. The adjustable swaybars allow you to change the front to rear balance a little. Say you bought new tires with a slightly different tire patch, maybe a little wider in front to take out some of the inherent understeer of the Cayman S, so you may want to add a little more bar to the front or soften up the rear to balance the grip in the corners. The rear GT adjustable bar has 4 holes and the front has 5 holes, so you have plenty of rebound rate to play with. I know of some owners who have these bars, and never change them once they are set up. Middle hole in front and second from softest in the rear depending on their tire selection.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:44 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

X73 is the answer for what you're looking for! Simple. OEM. Perfectly tuned, balance of performance and aesthetics. Best mod I've done for my car personally, maybe equal to the exhaust.

tbh, it's not harsh at all, if anything I feel it's more controlled and compliant than the standard suspension in a lot of ways. You can mix and match pieces, but you start down the rabbit hole of getting it balanced again - good luck with that and spending anything less than $4k.

Quick Reply: 981 Street Suspension/Lowering options