Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this 981C

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:56 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Cherry
Sexy. Now I'm totally into it.

Thanks for sharing!
My first 2 cars were hatchbacks and naturally had rear wipers. To be honest, sometimes I miss not having it even on sedans. Not so much for road spray, but on foggy mornings when you want to quickly clear up the back window. Now sometimes I have to get out and wipe it down manually...oh the humanity!

I rarely see them out here though...I imagine they're optioned on east coast cars more often. Although I got mine from New Jersey and it doesn't have it.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a couple of tidbits of information. I bought a higher mileage 2014 Cayman S, PTV, PASM, Two-tone interior, leather package, convenience package, Sport steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, 20" sport techno wheels, GT silver paint ($3k!), PSE for the same price. purchased it in July of 2017.

Also Porsche dealers have pretty much gotten out of the PPI business. You can contact them, but they probably won't do it. Try a trusted indy in the area.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Great read! Thanks for posting. It caused me to read the original article upon which this Petrolicious article is based, which contains some great photos of various rear wiper-clad cars from yesteryear:

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/...f-porsche-dna/
Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Just a couple of tidbits of information. I bought a higher mileage 2014 Cayman S, PTV, PASM, Two-tone interior, leather package, convenience package, Sport steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, 20" sport techno wheels, GT silver paint ($3k!), PSE for the same price. purchased it in July of 2017.

Also Porsche dealers have pretty much gotten out of the PPI business. You can contact them, but they probably won't do it. Try a trusted indy in the area.
That's helpful to hear, but didn't you have problems with the car when it arrived? Like undisclosed damage and some engine knock? What ended up happening to that car?

Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to hone my sensibility about pricing. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:45 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey B.C. - I've just left a 2014 Base Cayman I had for three years and wanted to say that if you're concerned about the HP + nice back-hill roads...don't be. The Base is amazing past 4K and guaranteed to put a grin on your face every corner. If this turns out to to be the car for you, then don't hesitate/worry that an 'S' might be better. The Base is fantastic.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT4John
Hey B.C. - I've just left a 2014 Base Cayman I had for three years and wanted to say that if you're concerned about the HP + nice back-hill roads...don't be. The Base is amazing past 4K and guaranteed to put a grin on your face every corner. If this turns out to to be the car for you, then don't hesitate/worry that an 'S' might be better. The Base is fantastic.
Thanks​Thanks for the endorsement! You aren't the guy selling it by any chance, are you?

Test drove it today --10 degrees; heck of a day for it. Was able to take the car into the service area to look around a bit more closely on the outside. Not too much to see -- car looks new. Already has the clear bra on the front bumper and also the entire hood.

Got sideways pulling into an onramp -- laughed out loud. Definitely not a good car for the snow and ice, despite what anyone says. Engine sound above 4000 rpm is lovely, and with sport button depressed it becomes throatier and even more appealing.

Will post more impressions and pictures later if anyone's interested. I placed a deposit pending a pcarshops.com shop inspection.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! yeah, I can't see driving one in snow being very.. practical. Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It probably has summer tires. Basically no grip below about 30 degrees.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
It probably has summer tires. Basically no grip below about 30 degrees.
Good point, you are certainly correct. Winter tires are on my short list of imminent upgrades. Would be nice if I could afford to do tires and wheels at the same time, but I have my eye on some Forgelines and don't think that's realistic right now (could get a lot more car for that $8k ).

Car drove beautifully. Just as much if not more fun than the 997s I've recently driven. Clutch and shifter feel is tight! Interior is immaculate. Low end torque is about as others have described, rather polite -- not going to beat a Honda Accord in the first 100 feet. I'm a patient man and can wait for my mid-range thrills.

There'd have to be something really bizarre and unexpected for me not to end up with this car. Hopefully get the inspection early this week and then pick it up next weekend. Then I'll clean it up and take some proper winter fantasy pics.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:29 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Cherry
Good point, you are certainly correct. Winter tires are on my short list of imminent upgrades. Would be nice if I could afford to do tires and wheels at the same time, but I have my eye on some Forgelines and don't think that's realistic right now (could get a lot more car for that $8k ).
I hear ya. If I were you, instead of spending $$ for winter tires and wheels, I would mount winter tires on the stock wheels (18"?) that the car came with and see what my financial situations are like in the spring. You may be able to swing for the Forgelines or other fancy wheels then. If you get them in 18", mount the summer tires that came off from the stock wheels on them. If you go for 19" or 20", you can always sell those tires. In the worst scenario, you can put the summer tires back on the stock wheels and wait until the winter to figure out what to do. Either way, the plan is to eventually use the stock wheels as the dedicated winter wheels.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by storii
I hear ya. If I were you, instead of spending $$ for winter tires and wheels, I would mount winter tires on the stock wheels (18"?) that the car came with and see what my financial situations are like in the spring. You may be able to swing for the Forgelines or other fancy wheels then. If you get them in 18", mount the summer tires that came off from the stock wheels on them. If you go for 19" or 20", you can always sell those tires. In the worst scenario, you can put the summer tires back on the stock wheels and wait until the winter to figure out what to do. Either way, the plan is to eventually use the stock wheels as the dedicated winter wheels.
Amen. Although -- I plan to take exceptional care of this car (and make no mistake, drive it like a boss) to protect its value, so I may put the stock wheels in storage when I buy the aftermarket rims in the Spring.

Something tells me the swan song of the 6-cylinder boxer engine has not yet been sung. If I'm wrong, and Porsche is really going to follow this bizarre turbos-only, then-electric-motors formula, I'm about to acquire a lovely example of the last naturally aspirated 98x.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 981C