Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Oh great, coolant issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
The wet spots look cleaner than the rest so it is possible you are leaking washer fluid through part #9(the pump grommet), 4(the oring to the filler neck) or if there is a plug for the non headlight washer cars in the reservoir.

I have exceeded my picture limit but the tank is behind the fender liner.
Oh wow so I just realized this is what I had in the washer tank. That would explain the "green coolant" I saw under the car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2017, 10:46 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

If it is leaking at the fill...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-968-...-/221617251763

....with the nla o-ring

edit.. shameless plug for ian ))
Old 05-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Boeing 717

Ugggghh ok time to reopen this and break out the dang wrenches.
Just took the first real drive with my wife, had breakfast and put about 60 miles on the car. Got home and the coolant tank was only half full. The entire right bottom side of engine bay and front wheel well had coolant dripping (after I spent a week cleaning that entire area )
Looked all over and really couldn't find the source. But then I saw a puddle of coolant behind the oil filter.
I'm going to assume for a minute that it's not the water pump because Porsche put a new one in before they sold it to me.
Could it be that plastic valve that sends coolant back along the right side of engine to heater core? In the pics you can barely see the green puddle above the oil filter and behind and under that yellow pipe.
Where and how should I investigate this? Remove air box and oil filter? What about the housing for the distributor and rotor?
Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very likely you could have a leaking heater control valve or the hoses leading to it. But with that amount of coolant present, I would expect a stream of coolant coming out during a pressure test.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:12 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

My car is on valve number 3. Failed at the glue joint but I found it during a pressure test.

The oil filter needs to come out and place the clamps where they don't cut a ring around the filter. Ian had a kit with both hoses and 4 clamps. Sliding the small hose up the heater line will let you install the valve then center everything.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Boeing 717

My car is on valve number 3. Failed at the glue joint but I found it during a pressure test.

The oil filter needs to come out and place the clamps where they don't cut a ring around the filter. Ian had a kit with both hoses and 4 clamps. Sliding the small hose up the heater line will let you install the valve then center everything.
I need to find a pressure tester. Who's Ian does he still make a kit?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

http://944online.com/index.php/water...valve-kit.html

Or you can just buy the valve from Jason
http://www.paragon-products.com/968-...ling-hoses.htm

Both ship pretty quick. If you have the pinch style clamps, which are better, the local napa should carry them.

Leaks do get progressively smaller as you work your way down and the system pressure builds. Watch the deicing hose at the back of the head next.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Based on the heater control valve color, it looks very old and most probably the suspect.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Boeing 717

Thanks guys. I'm not 100% sure that's the problem yet but I'm going to order a new one.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:32 PM
Boeing 717

Do I need to drain the coolant to do this? If so where is best place to drain?
Are you sure the oil filter needs to come out? Looking at it it looks like I may be able to work around it.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

I usually just crack open the radiator drain with the passenger side lifted a couple inches and let it run overnight. If you just let it trickle, it will run down the batwing into your catch pan and not all over the floor.

Same kind of method on the oil filter. If you just back it off two turns and let it drain slowly, it steams down right behind the power steering pump with not much mess.

I don't think you can access the clamp on the small end of the larger hose without removing the filter. Place the worm on the bottom facing the coil and pressure test before installing the filter.

Edit. I would pressurize the system first. The puddle in your picture could be the top of the oil filter housing assembly. In my case, that gasket failed right after the water pump job. I had left the system pressurized overnight and had a puddle the next morning. It's a puzzle to work the housing around the power steering lines but the alignment tool is the greatest expence.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Boeing 717

I usually just crack open the radiator drain with the passenger side lifted a couple inches and let it run overnight. If you just let it trickle, it will run down the batwing into your catch pan and not all over the floor.

Same kind of method on the oil filter. If you just back it off two turns and let it drain slowly, it steams down right behind the power steering pump with not much mess.

I don't think you can access the clamp on the small end of the larger hose without removing the filter. Place the worm on the bottom facing the coil and pressure test before installing the filter.

Edit. I would pressurize the system first. The puddle in your picture could be the top of the oil filter housing assembly. In my case, that gasket failed right after the water pump job. I had left the system pressurized overnight and had a puddle the next morning. It's a puzzle to work the housing around the power steering lines but the alignment tool is the greatest expence.
Thanks Thomas.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It can be done with the filter in place. Just a bit tighter.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:01 AM
Boeing 717

Just Replaced the valve. It would have been much easier with the oil filter out of the way but I managed. Took car for a drive and when I got back the coolant level had dropped to about half tank and I smelled a lot of coolant BUT i think it was just residual coolant from the last drive. I saw no coolant anywhere on bottom of car. When I removed the valve no coolant spilled out so I think the tank dropped because that line had emptied out on the last drive.
I refilled tank and will drive it again tomorrow but I think it's fixed!!!

One weird thing though, the check engine light came on momentarily and I thought, crap what now, but then it went out and did not come back on. Any idea what could have caused that?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Probably an air pocket at the DME temp sensor.

Was the valve separating or a hose leak?

Quick Reply: Oh great, coolant issue.