Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Considering a 968, but I know nothing about them:

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016 | 09:29 PM
m3 bavaria
8th Gear

Default Considering a 968, but I know nothing about them:

For some reason, I've just always had a soft spot for the 968. One came up for sale with low miles, so I took it for a spin. Problem is, I know nothing about thise cars, so for those of you that wish to be gracious with your time, I have a few questions about a 968:

Upon start, the engine is hard to turn over and briefly sounds like a truck starting. Is this common?

I couldn't get the sunroof to open. I unlatched both clasps at the front and pushed the button. Noise was made, but nothing else happened. I assuming the sunroof is broken...?

The gearbox was notchy and a bit rubbery. Is this common and to be expected?

Steering effort was heavy, but consistent. Is this common? Also, I couldn't see where the wheel could telescope or tilt, so I'm assuming it's fixed. Correct?

The engine revved well and pulled hard (for a 968). It also vibrated a bit and made a few other surprising truck like noises. Is this to be expected?

I realize that many of these questions are vague. The only Porsche experience I have is with much more modern cars, so any thoughts are appreciated!
m3 bavaria is online now Report Post
Old 11-02-2016 | 09:50 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Plenty of buying advice online... e.g. http://www.968clubsport.com/968_buying_guide.html
Old 11-02-2016 | 09:55 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Plenty of production details here:

http://968register.org/
Old 11-02-2016 | 12:54 PM
touareg
Drifting

Comments in line:

Originally Posted by m3 bavaria
For some reason, I've just always had a soft spot for the 968. One came up for sale with low miles, so I took it for a spin. Problem is, I know nothing about thise cars, so for those of you that wish to be gracious with your time, I have a few questions about a 968:

Upon start, the engine is hard to turn over and briefly sounds like a truck starting. Is this common? - Bad battery or starter is going, easy to change yourself, starter is around $300 I think. As for truck noise, tapping from the lifters or a busted exhaust? Has car been sitting a long time?

I couldn't get the sunroof to open. I unlatched both clasps at the front and pushed the button. Noise was made, but nothing else happened. I assuming the sunroof is broken...? - The sunroof can either be tilted up from the back, or arms retracted if you want to remove it, hence the latches opening. The arms move differently with the switch, based on he key position. Most likely bad microswitches and stripped gears, cheap fix if you know what you are doing.

The gearbox was notchy and a bit rubbery. Is this common and to be expected? - Read up on pinion failure, but you said low miles, so it could be worn out components that make it this way

Steering effort was heavy, but consistent. Is this common? Also, I couldn't see where the wheel could telescope or tilt, so I'm assuming it's fixed. Correct? - These racks are known to leak, a lot, fixed steering wheel is correct, some install CS Wheel for a little more space I think.

The engine revved well and pulled hard (for a 968). It also vibrated a bit and made a few other surprising truck like noises. Is this to be expected? - Should be a realativly quiet car as far as it feeling tight, but there is not a lot of insulation so noises do come through easily. Check engine mounts. Also these cars have balance shafts, belts could be done wrong.

The 3 biggest things I would look for (Besides records) are timing belt/rollers/water pump. Variocam inspection/health, and pinion bearing.

The first two can cause major engine damage if left to wear out as this is an interference engine.

I realize that many of these questions are vague. The only Porsche experience I have is with much more modern cars, so any thoughts are appreciated!
m3 bavaria is online now Report Post
Old 11-07-2016 | 12:20 AM
m3 bavaria
8th Gear

Excellent advice. Thanks gents!
Old 11-07-2016 | 10:24 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Skip the street ones. Go straight to a 968 race car

Quick Reply: Considering a 968, but I know nothing about them: