968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Engine leak down & compression

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 968 Engine leak down & compression

Finally got to getting the motor under closer inspection. Pulled valve cover, belt covers, pulled plugs, shot couple squirts of marvel mystery oil in cylinders, put some assembly lube on the cams, poured some 30 wt oil all around on everything else and turned motor by hand. Now want to do compression & leak down test. Think a friend of mine has a leak down tool and compression tool.

Want to do leak down and wondered if my smallish PorterCable pancake compressor has enough constant pressure for one of these tools??

Wanted to also confirm my thoughts on compression testing. All plugs pulled during this test? About how long to leave starter engaged on each cylinder?

Water pump is seized and have a little concern with turning over too much as back side of timing belt sliding across seized pump pulley. Dont want to snap the crazy thing and bend some valves. I put a little lube on the backside of the timing belt because of this. At least with the plugs pulled there is not a lot of pressure on the belt??

Thanks John
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2016, 10:57 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would strongly recommend not trying to turn the engine with a seized WP. Even though the chances of you doing damage to the valve train during cranking is minimal, it's not worth the risk.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I have an old pump with a good bearing and bad impeller if you want to use it for testing purposes
Old 09-12-2016, 08:34 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
I have an old pump with a good bearing and bad impeller if you want to use it for testing purposes
Thomas thanks for the thought, I have an old one as well....

Its all the work that needs to be done to put an old one in just for testing that makes me crazy.

I think I will do just the leak down testing, if things look reasonable then I will invest in the belts/pulleys/water pump and actually start the thing.

Is it difficult to start a 968 engine with just the DME out of the car on a stand??

What tricks would you need to sort out electrically?

John
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Why is it I get the mental image of something like this happening with the engine on a stand...

Quick Reply: 968 Engine leak down & compression