issues after new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:13 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default issues after new clutch

got my clutch replaced (83K miles) by an indie P car shop. two things:

- clutch engages/disengages very close to floorboard. took it back and mech bled slave cylinder but no help. have to bring it in again. any ideas what could cause this? if it's simple, I'll fix it myself.

- there's a certain amount of friction in the travel of the clutch pedal. I'm not sure how to explain it other than the travel isn't smooth but kind of feels like you're pushing old, rusty springs. again any ideas what this could be?

maybe these issues are related?

just want to have some info before I go back to him.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd confirm the clutch master cylinder is properly adjusted. Had a similar issue on my 944S after a clutch replacement and it came down to the master cylinder out of adjustment because the new disk had significantly more material. That's the first place I'd look and it's very easy to do.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with post above. If you take a peak at your clutch pedal assembly where it interfaces with the master cylinder piston, you may find several problems.

a) There's a specification for the MC adjustment length as noted in the post above
b) The clutch pedal clevis/pin bushing may be worn or completely disintegrated
c) If bushing non-existent, you may have significant wear to the clutch clevis and retaining pin

These are all inexpensive but annoying repairs that you can do yourself; just working upside down in a tight footwell space isn't fun. Hope you aren't claustrophobic.

If everything in the pedal assembly looks OK then I'd question whether the clutch service was performed correctly [ie, fork bearings replaced, PP shimmed, etc].
Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
These are all inexpensive but annoying repairs that you can do yourself; just working upside down in a tight footwell space isn't fun. Hope you aren't claustrophobic.
This is why I always remove the central electric board and gain access from above. Easier to see, better for your back and you're less likely to get frustrated/claustrophobic and make mistakes.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I have also recently replaced a blue colored spring (it broke in half ) that rides behind the clutch lever rotating mass and helps push the pedal back up once you release your foot pressure
Old 04-15-2016, 01:56 PM
dp951
Racer

Default Clutch travel / cracked fire wall

Originally Posted by jksymz75
got my clutch replaced (83K miles) by an indie P car shop. two things:

- clutch engages/disengages very close to floorboard. took it back and mech bled slave cylinder but no help. have to bring it in again. any ideas what could cause this? if it's simple, I'll fix it myself.

- there's a certain amount of friction in the travel of the clutch pedal. I'm not sure how to explain it other than the travel isn't smooth but kind of feels like you're pushing old, rusty springs. again any ideas what this could be?

I ve noticed a on few 968s that the firewall section which holds the clutch master ( attachment point to the fire wall ) cracks and will flex when the pedal is depressed , giving you much more travel...
This is not the case in all related travel issues , but when all is adjusted properly and within specs these small cracks with cause the pedal to travel further than normal ...you will also notice movement of the clutch master while depressing the peddal..
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

If nothing else is incorrect about the setup, this *might* go away as your pressure plate is broken in. That's assuming you replaced your pressure plate. I had a SPEC stage 2 clutch kit installed on my former 951 and pushing the clutch pedal in felt like I was pushing my foot against a metal chain link fence. It eventually smoothed out as I put miles on it.

Where did you have the work done? I had Tyrolsport in Queens do it. I also went to SM Motorsports (absolutely no relation to me) a few times.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by sm
If nothing else is incorrect about the setup, this *might* go away as your pressure plate is broken in. That's assuming you replaced your pressure plate. I had a SPEC stage 2 clutch kit installed on my former 951 and pushing the clutch pedal in felt like I was pushing my foot against a metal chain link fence. It eventually smoothed out as I put miles on it.

Where did you have the work done? I had Tyrolsport in Queens do it. I also went to SM Motorsports (absolutely no relation to me) a few times.
I went to South Shore Performance. I'm not sure if he replaced the pressure plate. car is back in there now and mech is stating it probably needs all the hydraulics replaced and that there is no adjustments to be made with master or slave cylinder.

is this incorrect? I obviously don't want to throw more money at this replacing parts that might not need to be replaced.

did Tyrolsport do good work on your car?

Last edited by jksymz75; 04-27-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: make it more thorough
Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 PM
sm
Drifting

Sorry for the late reply. Hope you got it sorted out. I can't answer your question about the adjustability of the master/slave cylinders, but yes, Tyrolsport did good work. The owner, Mike, is a car enthusiast and check out their website for details on the worked 951 that they maintain.

I can tell you that SM Motorsport, if they're still around, on Long Island knows the 944 well. I didn't have a 968 back then, so I can speak to their knowledge on this car. Their owner is/was Sunny. Man, it's been 12 years since I used those shops and it went by in a blink.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by sm
Sorry for the late reply. Hope you got it sorted out. I can't answer your question about the adjustability of the master/slave cylinders, but yes, Tyrolsport did good work. The owner, Mike, is a car enthusiast and check out their website for details on the worked 951 that they maintain.

I can tell you that SM Motorsport, if they're still around, on Long Island knows the 944 well. I didn't have a 968 back then, so I can speak to their knowledge on this car. Their owner is/was Sunny. Man, it's been 12 years since I used those shops and it went by in a blink.
Thanks for the help, I'll look into them next time I need service. In the end, we replaced the Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders and it solved the problem. Clutch feels fine now and my pocket feels lighter so that means the car is faster, right?

Old 05-30-2016, 09:23 PM
sm
Drifting

Thanks for the help, I'll look into them next time I need service. In the end, we replaced the Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders and it solved the problem. Clutch feels fine now and my pocket feels lighter so that means the car is faster, right?

Good ending. Did they replace the hydraulic hose between the master and slave? That was only thing that we didn't replace during my clutch job, after replacing everything and the master/slave, and that hose let go while I was away from home. A tow truck ride back to the shop along with a new hose took care of that weakest link.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

I'm not sure if he did or not. I'll look through the receipts. thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply: issues after new clutch