Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

High idle and low rpm stumble after Cam replacement/head off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default High idle and low rpm stumble after Cam replacement/head off.

Hey guys,
I had a bad day a few months ago and had the exhaust cam strip some teeth when my Timing belt failed. I had the head off to check the valves and replaced the bad cam with another used cam i was able to source.

Ever since the car has had an occational stumble at 1,000-1,400rpm under load (low speed traffic conditions after an extended drive) and the car has idled @ 1050-1100 rpm. Any thoughts on what i should be looking atfor? ive been hunting for vac leaks, i haven't found anything. The ISV was new 2 years ago and the FPR has been replaced in the last year. I'm thinking about pulling the intake to replace the gasket in case i messed that up somehow but i'd love some input.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Are u sure your timing is not off? Hall sender?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced the hall earlier this year with a brand new one and the timing should be really close as i lined it back up with the marks (aka dirt) on the shield behind the cam gear. The car runs strong all the way to redline, its just down low its being weird. I've regapped the rear ref sensor recently too (it was before the bad day though) as i replaced the bracket with the shielded version.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be a faulty tps or even a maf. Best to diagnose before start throwing $$. Has it had a good tuneup?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:40 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

from your description, see if the dme coolant sensor and oil temp sensor are in spec. if the motor thinks it is too cold, the idle would be elevated and she might run rich enough to cause a low speed bog.

there are a couple o-rings at the throttle also

(I have never started the car with the temps below 50 so the rpms drop to 840 within 30 seconds of starting)

Quick Reply: High idle and low rpm stumble after Cam replacement/head off.