968 Forum 1992-1995

SY Cab on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 01:43 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SY Cab on Ebay

Not sure if its been for sale for a while but just saw one of the Speed Yellow cab's just showed up on ebay...asking a pretty penny too, hope they get it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-968-...m=141715740993
Old 07-11-2015, 02:01 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Salvage title.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Jeff, was this a known car?

Just... wow.
-V
Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Let's get philosophical for a moment.

Sometimes I don't get it, if he just paid the 5k out of pocket, and fixed the car without insurance, he would have a NON SALVAGE car.

He wanted a free 15k, he didnt, that 15k put a salvage title on the car.

So 37k plus, if not a salvage, plus the 15k from the insurance, that is what he is saying his car is worth? 52k? with a salvage title?

Value is what someone is willing to pay I guess. And I thought he just had the car valued at 20k.

I understand the logic, it is just a label, but black paint is worth no more than yellow paint right? It is just a chemical that reflects and absorbs light differently.
If you have 2 Speed yellow cars, exactly the same looking, one has a salvage title and non original and another does not have that title, but is all original. Are they worth the same?

Story I heard on this one was GF went to pick owner up a the airport, and forgot to latch the roof down, after putting it back up.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by touareg
...Story I heard on this one was GF went to pick owner up a the airport, and forgot to latch the roof down, after putting it back up.
Just had a chance to read the full listing and yeah, that's what I've heard as well. So, salvage title and *perhaps* a fibbing seller here.

I don't know how other owners of the rarer cars feel, but to me, the the title is a hugely important part of the car and factors significantly in determining its value. If the buyer is going to drive it all the time, change out the seats, mod the suspension, do rims, install a bangin' system, etc. etc. to make it his own? Then the title will factor less to that guy.

...But what about that guy's insurance company??? Won't he get slammed financially if anything happens to the car and he wants to keep it? Or will he have to go declared value (is that even an option for a salvage?)?

There are times when I feel like I physically ached from withdrawal after selling SY Cab #10 a dozen years ago. So when #3 came up for sale this year I knew what had to be done. If it had a salvage title, I'm not sure I would have felt the same. Maybe it's just me.

-V
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
Wow! Jeff, was this a known car?

Just... wow.
-V
It is. #7 out of 10. See the link below:

http://968register.org/production-da...d-yellow-968s/

( I got to reference a page on the new site again!)
Old 07-12-2015, 07:13 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one always makes me laugh:
California buyers please note the car is sold "as is" with no smog certificate nor any commitment on my part to secure one, pay for an inspection or otherwise be involved in any after the purchase smog issues.

From the DMV website:
Question: I just purchased a vehicle and the seller did not provide a Smog Check certificate. The vehicle needs repairs in order to pass. What should I do?

Answer: Go back to the seller, inform them about Vehicle Code section 24007 (b)(2), and try to work things out amicably. If that fails, you have the option to pay for the repairs and the Smog Check yourself, and then take the seller to court to recover your costs. Although the law clearly supports the buyer, collecting on a court judgment can be difficult. The amicable solution is usually best. If the seller is a state-licensed auto dealer, buyers have the additional option of filing a complaint with the DMV, which regulates new- and used-car dealers.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with this seller a few months ago when he was trying to sell it on Craigslist for $25K. He told me that he bought his car back from the insurance company as a salvage car after they gave him the replacement value. When I questioned him about the $25K asking price he got a bit touchy. I'd rather buy a non salvage car from a stand-up seller any day of the week. I'll pass on this one.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:46 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Up to over $25k with reserve not met. Strong money considering the salvage title.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeff968
Up to over $25k with reserve not met. Strong money considering the salvage title.
And with 118k on the clock. I am not trying to be a hater, but if you want a yellow cab that bad, seems like you are better off getting a 10k cab and dropping 5-10k on the paint job if you can strip most of the car out before painting.

This car is no way a "collectors" car in its current state.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

if you want a yellow cab that bad, seems like you are better off getting a 10k cab and dropping 5-10k on the paint job if you can strip most of the car out before painting.

This car is no way a "collectors" car in its current state.
Now let's not encourage that!

I already get enough sightings of "bogus" SY 968s. There are at least 3 out there.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:22 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeff968
Now let's not encourage that!

I already get enough sightings of "bogus" SY 968s. There are at least 3 out there.
LOL, well as long as the person is not a poser

Gene is changing colors

I have seen that speed yellow cab with the black engine bay that is being sold as rare speed yellow, don't know the other two.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:55 AM
Vendetta NY
Racer

LOL, well as long as the person is not a poser

Gene is changing colors

I have seen that speed yellow cab with the black engine bay that is being sold as rare speed yellow, don't know the other two.
Yeah, but you see the job he's doing? If Gene did his in Speed Yellow, we would now have 11 originals.

-V
Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
Yeah, but you see the job he's doing? If Gene did his in Speed Yellow, we would now have 11 originals.

-V
Yes and true, no posing going on there.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

$27,877.77 and reserve still not met. Bet he's glad it didn't sell for $25K a few months ago.

I feel weird about this, having bought SY Cab #3 - in ridiculously, impossibly clean condition - for what we'll call the same amount (close enough), and it had a clear title. This salvage title car could actually fetch more? Reason I feel weird is that I want the seller to get his ask (that whole "rising tide lifting all ships" thing), but I also fear the buyer might overspend?

Either way, it might be time to adjust my "agreed value" with the insurance company.

-V

Quick Reply: SY Cab on Ebay