968 Forum 1992-1995

Would like input as to value of '92 model please

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 PM
madsedan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Would like input as to value of '92 model please

Checked it out today, they are going to put in new motor mounts, oil pan gasket, and check out the power steering leak. Also the passenger headlight works but doesn't move up into position.

92 coupe, 6 speed, gray interior. Was resprayed in black, not a great paint job but a good 20' appearance. Car was originally dark violet color but repaint got the doors, jambs, inside of engine bay, etc.

Car was in an accident according to carfax, I believe the passenger fender was replaced, may be why the headlight doesn't pop up on that side. I suspect that when the car was sprayed as the passenger fender shows galvanized finish under the black paint and not original color as the driver's fender does.

Interior in good shape, rear hatch lid needs a little work on the trim but no leaks that we can see. Otherwise car is in good condition.

148k miles, 3 owners, and a wreck, any advice on an appropriate offer/price on one of these?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

See if Jeff can find a better example....with age they all need something. Money saved now might cost more later. Last minute work to make the sale might not be up to par.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:25 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine is original color, but has had the bumper and hood replaced. Has the usual dings etc, but is a good clean car, that is not perfect but has been looked after.

93 with 150k, service records with work for last 60k or so. Car was well taken care of.

I paid 10k for it last year. So far needed a starter and new power steering hoses.

With out looking at the car, if the body and interior is in really rough shape, but mechanically it is good, I would be looking in the 6k-7k range. This means the engine has no leaks in the front, cam belt done with records and the Vario cam looks good.

Salvage, I think these cars are in the 2- 4k range? Not sure.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What are your goals with the car? This one sounds like it could be a good candidate for the track. For a weekender or daily, it sounds to me like it would take a lot of work to make it proud. So unless it's a very low price, and/or you enjoying doing your own restoring, I agree you should continue the search.

-V
Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

IMHO, doing a color change to a 968 is never a good idea. I don't think it can ever be done well as the color is everywhere.

No cracks on the dash? Any maintenance history? When were the belts done last?

I would say this would be toward the lower side of things 968. Maybe $7K. Post the last 3 digits of the VIN and I'll look up the options. Maybe it has limited slip which would help some.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:58 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
IMHO, doing a color change to a 968 is never a good idea. I don't think it can ever be done well as the color is everywhere.
Obviously a thorough approach to a color change, but 968gene accomplished it....

But without such an approach I agree with your comment
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

If one does a color change properly (calling 968Gene here), it will look original without question. Of course, you have to be completely focused on the details like Gene is.

Regarding your question - I would agree with VNY: What is your intent with the car? Obviously it would make a great track car.

OTOH - if you're looking to make it a pristine example, well...it'll take a fair amount of effort and $$$ to make that dream come true (fair estimate ~$15K).

What is your passion, and what will your checkbook allow?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 PM
madsedan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

The last 3 digits of the VIN are 478

The dash and rest of the interior looks pretty good actually and I think if I used some high end cleaners or had the seats dyed they would be 95% as they don't have holes or tears at seams.

I was thinking around the $7k range with them installing the new motor mounts, sorting out the headlight, etc. The previous buy bouht it off ebay as a "clean title" original paint car from a dealer in California, obviously he was ripped off.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

From where I sit, dyed seats never look quite 'right' if you know what I mean.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Color change

I was nearly offended!

For the purists out there, mine was a $3,400 Craigslist car. The interior was a throw away and the paint beat to death.

Everything going back in will be new, replated, stripped and painted, rebuilt, or otherwise refurbished.

Wait until you see the custom BBS wheels!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:53 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
I was nearly offended!
Don't be. You are the rare exception where it was done right. You took the car 100% apart so it is a thorough job. You have to admit, without doing that it will not be a quality job. That said, I like 'em original color anyway.

This car was indeed a special car when new:

1 of 19 F9 Amethyst coupes
1 of 5 F9 Amethyst coupes paired with light grey/classic grey interior

Options include:
F9 Metallic paint
TU Partial leather
139/340 Dual heated seats
220 Limited Slip Differential!

Jeff
Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM
touareg
Drifting

Don't be. You are the rare exception where it was done right. You took the car 100% apart so it is a thorough job. You have to admit, without doing that it will not be a quality job. That said, I like 'em original color anyway.

This car was indeed a special car when new:

1 of 19 F9 Amethyst coupes
1 of 5 F9 Amethyst coupes paired with light grey/classic grey interior

Options include:
F9 Metallic paint
TU Partial leather
139/340 Dual heated seats
220 Limited Slip Differential!

Jeff
On the 968 any easier way to check for LSD other than jacking the car and spinning wheels? Did the 968 have labels? On a car as such that is described above, I would wonder of things changed and missing beyond the paint.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:32 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by touareg
On the 968 any easier way to check for LSD other than jacking the car and spinning wheels? Did the 968 have labels? On a car as such that is described above, I would wonder of things changed and missing beyond the paint.
The easiest way is to ask me

But you can find the option codes on the vehicle information sticker which is stuck to the rear floor or taillight panel under the carpet. You can also find it on page 1 of the maintenance manual. You are looking for the 220.

There is also identification on the case. Cliff????
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 AM
touareg
Drifting

But you can find the option codes on the vehicle information sticker which is stuck to the rear floor or taillight panel under the carpet. You can also find it on page 1 of the maintenance manual. You are looking for the 220.

Thanks Jeff, that is what I meant, on the case, not on the sticker in the boot.

I just remember from my 944 days last century, people replace transmissions, etc. And I didn't think there was an easy way other than spinning wheels with a helper.

My mind keeps going back to the guy that bought the 968 cabrio for a steal, started asking on the boards what do these extra wires in his engine bay go to. Posted a pic and people pointed out he had a 944 S2 engine in his 968! Doh!
Old 06-11-2015, 01:33 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Jeff is slowly going to make me flip over all the cards......

And not that it's a huge secret but yes. Here's the ID from my '92. Notice the 2 behind the G 44 00. That designates limited slip. If it were a conventional diff it would have a 1 as my '93 does.

As to the poster that mentioned raising the car and spinning the rear wheels, here's what I do and don't know. My car has the ZF / clutch type LSD diff. The Torsen LSD uses (I believe) a gear arrangement and not clutches. The ZF will indeed spin both rear wheels in the same direction with the car raised but I have been told that the Torsen will not. Can anyone confirm this?
Attached Images  

Last edited by chudson; 06-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Would like input as to value of '92 model please