Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How to disconnect airbag computer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 PM
boerge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disconnect airbag computer?

Hello,
I now will change steering wheel, and i just want to disconnect the whole system and prevent any light from coming on in the dash.

Can someone explain easily how to do that?

I have searched and found some treads, but they are a little unclear of what I actually have to do, in the easiest possible way to achieve my goal.

Last edited by boerge; 11-16-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fix
Old 05-14-2015, 04:43 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Others can chime in, but if you remove the airbag system, I think you also lose ABS.

I thought the best solution, is to remove the bags themselves, then jumper with the appropriate resistor.

You also may want to do the same with the seatbelt points.

You may want to just see in the workshop manuals if you can trouble shoot the issues, as it may be something simple like a frayed seatbelt wire.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You will need to plug in a resistor to fool the system that its still there. Might want to do a search but I think its 8 ohms resistor. There should be posts here. I think someone just posted a thread about doing the opposite with pics.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok I did a little research for you, since I am curious myself. Good read, it is an 88 Turbo S, so not sure sure how different the system is, but the last bit at the end of the thread is what is interesting.

From http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...h-airbags.html

"Last year I got myself an SC steering for my 968,of course I had to do a steering wheel air bag delete.When at it with a 3 ohm resistor to fool the computer in believing the air bag was still on.Well everything went fine no air bag ligth on, after driving around for approx three month without problems I thougth I had it made got in the car one day & what comes on the air bag ligth & no it wouldn't go out,so I change the resistor for a new one same thing that darn ligth stay on.I start to inquire about a solution & the only one was a Bosch Hammer which the closest one was 765 miles from my place,ok so I decide to delete the passenger air bag took me about an hour an a half & bingo no more air bg ligth .Pull the six pins connector from the computer install a jumper between pin #3 & #4 (worst part of the job since you got to make sure it's well secure so that the car will start & the jumper won't come out when driving around).The result no more air bags ligth since then lol keeping my fingers cross."

http://www.944s2.com/how-to/how-to.htm has for a 944S2, again different car, so electrics may have changed.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a pack of 100 resistors, send me a PM with your address and you can have it for shipping costs. Its worked in my cars for close to 6 yrs.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a good thread with your different options - I used the 964 Cup delete bridge.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ag-bridge.html

Quick Reply: How to disconnect airbag computer?