968 Forum 1992-1995

Is it the Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it the Starter?

Just want to check with the forum before I pull the trigger on a new starter.

Starter will sometimes spin without turning the motor over. Has been happening intermittently but last night did it three times in a row. That means it's bad, right?

And is it the whole starter or just the solenoid?

I was thinking Sunset Porsche unless you have another recommendation.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, starter. Mine was doing the same thing. It's called gummy starter syndrome and there is a way to rebuild it, but I found it easier to just replace it. Very easy job. You will be amazed at how easy it is to start if you replace.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

yep. that's exactly how they go.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

THANK YOU. this is exactly what I needed to hear.

German Autoparts seems to have the cheapest one but Auto Atlanta also has a decent price.

this brings me to the workshop manual - what should I use? does the Haynes for the 944 cover this? I haven't really found something for the 968 but I admit my search skills can be sort of scattered sometimes.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Not George))

Disconnect the battery negative first.
Mark and remove wires from starter and inspect.
Remove starter.
Inspect ring gear.
Install new starter and torque to specs.
Reconnect cleaned wires at starter. Torque to specs.
Reconnect battery negative last.

Done.

There are a few dealers that cater to the owners even if you need something from Germany. Where I am, parts come from FL the fastest, west coast is cheaper but shipping is higher and takes longer. The place I use in Ohio, that balances the two, gets their dealer parts in on Thursday so its a gamble if that cheap 2 day priority mail will come on Saturday or dadmit, Monday.

Buy OES, OEM or parts with the P triangle. Anything less is just practice parts.

Edit..the 968 manual supplements the 944 manual and both are googleable. The 968 manuals are low on stock at your dealer if you need a hard copy.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:23 AM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Not George))

Disconnect the battery negative first.
Mark and remove wires from starter and inspect.
Remove starter.
Inspect ring gear.
Install new starter and torque to specs.
Reconnect cleaned wires at starter. Torque to specs.
Reconnect battery negative last.

Done.

There are a few dealers that cater to the owners even if you need something from Germany. Where I am, parts come from FL the fastest, west coast is cheaper but shipping is higher and takes longer. The place I use in Ohio, that balances the two, gets their dealer parts in on Thursday so its a gamble if that cheap 2 day priority mail will come on Saturday or dadmit, Monday.

Buy OES, OEM or parts with the P triangle. Anything less is just practice parts.

Edit..the 968 manual supplements the 944 manual and both are googleable. The 968 manuals are low on stock at your dealer if you need a hard copy.
Thomas Thanks for going to the trouble to spell out the steps. I figured it'd be straight forward but I've been fooled before.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Lol)) that's kinda how most manuals read))

Clark's garage is kinda a goto resource. Lindsey Racing has a compiled torque spec page. Van and Jürgen have some fantastic u-tube clips for most things. Great stuff. I used to get Bentley manuals over Haynes or Clymer but the factory PET diagrams and official manuals are just a click away. Plus, there are many helpful people online that have a passion for these cars....lots.

I started reading the 924 factory stuff then supplemented my brain with the 944 stack of technical info. Now, when I look at the 968 manual, I can see how the design has evolved and it really makes the jobs easier. Some things are way easier, like the differential carrier bearings and some are more complicated, like setting up the variocam. These are absolutely the most mechanic friendly cars to work on so no fear of going in deep as long as the previous work was detailed.

I am cheap so I would try to clean up the clay like grease in the bendix, relube and test it if the gears look good. Even just the cv boot rubber can be had for 5 bucks instead of buying the flange and boot assembly for 20....or the bling bling aero boots for 50. I can't afford to throw parts at problems so I try to step back and give things a different perspective. Yeah, that front end rattle was a broken headlight trim ring))lol

Inferior or practice parts leave a bad taste in my mouth and most parts houses give you the option of making the URO mistake. Someone on another board used an 'aftermarket' dogbone on their door handle and it promptly failed! What a pisser. Even Bosch parts are on the slippery slope from my experience. I did a my first front end seal with some hamburgtech items that promptly and predictably failed. I was warned...it happened...but it was good practice. Woohoo, let's do it again)))

If you ever owned a 914, odds are that you have been Georged))
Old 01-31-2015, 12:29 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Thomas, skip Auto Atlanta. I only made one order with them when I had a 914 and they double charged my credit which took 3 months for them to figure out and the part didn't fit correctly.

Not to mention all the shady business practices he does.

Quick Reply: Is it the Starter?