968 Forum 1992-1995

Turn signal connector mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Turn signal connector mismatch

After an unfortunate mishap, I had to replace my right ROW turn signal bulb/lens assembly, which I bought from Sunset Porsche in Portland, Oregon. When I went to install it, I noticed the plug from the harness doesn't match the connector on the turn signal. The prongs are different (three on the original connector, two on the new one), and the diameter of the new connector where it mates with the harness side connector is too small - the original connector on the turn signal fits snugly inside the harness side connector. Here are some pictures showing the connector that was on the original one (it's black), and the one that came with the new turn signal assembly:

Attachment 850901
New turn signal connector, VW part number 811 953 053

Attachment 850907
Left side connector on left, new one on right. Unfortunately, the old connector doesn't have a part number stamped on it.

Attachment 850911
View showing the prongs

So, the two connectors are completely different, so I don't have a functioning right front turn signal, and I just realized my car is due for inspection this month. I called Sunset, and they said all the ones they've sold in recent memory (and they sell quite a number of ROW-style lenses) are the same kind as the one they sold me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Is there a way to wire things up so that the new connector will work with the car's wiring? Does anyone who may have switched to the ROW-style lens happen to have a spare connector lying around that matches the one my car needs? Thanks.

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 09-04-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:36 PM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of bulbs are in each unit, is one a single filament, while the other (with 3 connectors) is a double filament. To have 3 connectors, I wonder if your old turn signals were also driving lights (not fog driving lights, but the kind that comes on with most cars when you put the light switch to the first position.) That could explain 3 connectors. For the one with just 2 connectors, doesn't seem like that kind of light/flashing would work.

If you just need to have it work, you could hook up a vom to the plug that the unit plugs into. See which of the three wires/plugs has on/off voltage with the turn signals turned on. Then you'd just have to hook up a wire to that plug, and another to ground to get the bulb to work when you put the turn signals on.

You might also check an S2 parts catalog to see if the parts number is different from what you got from Sunset. It definitely seems like Porsche used up some old inventory on our cars, as we've seen some deviations from what should have been installed.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Joe,

Good call - the new unit came with a single-filament bulb, while the one on the other side has a two-filament bulb.

I tried what you suggested with the VOM when I first discovered the problem, and to my befuddlement, there is no signal when the VOM leads are touched to any combination of harness-side connectors, or between any of the connectors and ground. Very strange - I'll try it again to double-check, though, and I'll try it on the left side as well.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

When I bought my euro turn signals, I remember that the bulb socket was different in some kind of way. I thought I just used my original units in the new turn signals.

I threw out the old stuff so I can't figure it out.

But what Joe says makes sense, make sure you have voltage there first. I would check the other side as a guide.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy, I ordered ROW turn signal lenses from Sunset a few months ago but hadn't yet installed them or even opened the boxes to inspect. Sure enough, I just checked right now and they have the white connector which I think is wrong. Can you just use your existing connector and bulb in the Euro lens?

I have an older set of ROW lenses on the riviera blue 968 that I'll check connectors on when I have a chance. If you can't make your new Euro lens work with the existing connector on your car then I'll send you one of my older ones for passing inspection.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Well, I got it to work. The problem was I was using the wrong harness-side connector. I was probably using the one for the fog lights. The correct connector doesn't fit any better, but I was able to wire it up so that the turn signal functions, so, as far as I'm concerned, problem solved.

Trevor,

Thanks for the offer, but now that I got mine to work, I won't be needing a set of "correct" bulb receptacles, so your best bet would be to use the ones that are in your old lenses when you install your new lenses.

Quick Reply: Turn signal connector mismatch