Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Large coolant leak after stopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well everything went back together smoothly enough until I got to the refill. I went and borrowed a pressure tester from Autozone, filled everything up, bled the system and ran the car for a while but after I turned it off, I heard the annoying dripping sound. Luckily (I guess) it wasn't the HVC but it was the large hose coming off the water pump to the lower end of the radiator.

I tried to tighten the hose clamp but every time I added some pressure, there was a consistent drip. I am waiting for the car to cool down and I will loosen the hose clamp and try and look at the hose closer. I'm assuming I'm going to lose the coolant again...this time I'll drain through the plug!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
Well everything went back together smoothly enough until I got to the refill. I went and borrowed a pressure tester from Autozone, filled everything up, bled the system and ran the car for a while but after I turned it off, I heard the annoying dripping sound. Luckily (I guess) it wasn't the HVC but it was the large hose coming off the water pump to the lower end of the radiator. I tried to tighten the hose clamp but every time I added some pressure, there was a consistent drip. I am waiting for the car to cool down and I will loosen the hose clamp and try and look at the hose closer. I'm assuming I'm going to lose the coolant again...this time I'll drain through the plug!
I wonder if the radiator side is cracked. There is a plastic piece in the radiator to which the hose connects. Mine was on the top, and a quick repair with I think JB Weld took care of the problem.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

It's actually dripping right at the connection to the water pump. I can see it leak out near the hose clamp then sort of run down the hose and finally drip off. I checked all around the radiator (brand new btw) and everything looks dry so at least I have that going for me. The new radiator hose will be here tomorrow and will hopefully solve the problem. Too bad I got to drain all the coolant again, bleeding went well and I had full heat and the HCV worked great.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

A bit of an update:

I got the HCV installed, no leaks there but then saw a leak from the lower radiator hose. Got a new one and put it on...no leaks so now I am going through a coolant flush. After carefully crafting an old milk jug to divert the coolant to the drain pan (worked great, btw) so I wouldn't have to remove the front belly pan, I realized I had to anyways because the lower hose clamp was turned so I couldn't get to it.

I filled the coolant system with distilled water, bled the system, drove the car around a bit then drained quickly after the fans shut off. Looked like mostly clear liquid so tonight I'll fill with 50/50 mix, bleed, drive it again, bleed again the top it off and I should be good to go... did I leave anything out?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

?

Did you have something to add or just trying to get your post count up?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

about a week of driving around and so far, not a leak in sight.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply: Large coolant leak after stopping