Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:24 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jeff968
Mikey,

There was never a 968 C/S available in the US so there still might be a problem as no identical model was available.

I understand what you are saying about the 996 TT but they are as common as VW beetles when compared to a Riv Blue 968 C/S. If uniqueness is something the buyer wants then this 968 has it hands down over the 996 TT and it is worth every penny.

Jeff

Over a Riviera Blue 996TT???

tino
Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 968 logic.....

a 186 mph 911T vs a 149 mph 968 w/ near zero known collectability in the real world?

ehhyeah.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

The words we're looking for are; 'market efficiency'.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
a 186 mph 911T vs a 149 mph 968 w/ near zero known collectability in the real world?

ehhyeah.
Different strokes for different folks!!!

That's what makes the world go 'round.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting story Quick 968, thanks for sharing. This car will fetch good money. If (big if) it ever gets back on the road it'll be in Canada.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

$29K and climbing. Go C/S!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Well bidding stalled out at $28,988, reserve not met. The market for pretty, but ultimately not significantly collectable, track toy Porsches isn't perhaps as strong as folks hoped. Under $29K is somewhat less than Rich Tillotsen sold it for some years ago.

Wonder if he'll put it back through the Ebay mill again?

Cheers
Mikey
Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Just like a real auction, eBay is all about exposure. Don't be surprised if a deal doesn't happen behind the scenes. I'm still optimistic for the car. And $29K was a healthy bid. Go 968s!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
I'm still optimistic for the car. And $29K was a healthy bid. Go 968s!
Oh there's no doubt $29k is a sky high bid for any 968 these days. I was pleasantly shocked it got that high, but that's only $4k more than I sold to Rich for in 2005. But $43k was just silly money, an obvious fishing expedition, nothing at all wrong with that. For fun comparison there's this one that's also silly money. Not a CS obviously, just a garage queen, and a minimally equipped one at that, with a horribly cheesy re-upholstery job done on the front seats which used to be the rare/cool Porsche script cloth. Asking a mint.

Cheers
Mikey

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this car for sale in the classified section
Love the color and good taste with the Kinesis wheels
Reminded me of my old 968
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 09:06 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Well yes, the Kinesis K5's are nice looking, but wheel choice is very subjective as we all know. I'm not even sure Kinesis still makes the K5 in a 17" (K57) anymore, all I see are K58 and K59's. The 18's would work on our 968's but ride like crap and the 19's are a no-go. I bought mine for the CS from a guy with a C2 Turbo that was getting out of the track game at the time. When I bought the CS it had these 18" Turbo S replicas which had some bumps and gouges and I just didn't trust em even though they looked the bomb. The Kinesis K5's are just so dang strong.

Cheers
Mikey
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 710 Likes on 341 Posts

Hey Mikey great write up about "our" car and I agree with the points you made. The problem I see with the car today is that when you and I were driving it the value of the car did not stop us from putting it at risk especially when I raced it. We both knew why we owned the car to do track events if seller gets anything near his price say high 30s then it is at a value that owner might need to think about before putting its condition at risk by racing it, DEs I think would be fine. I remember all the documentation you did getting it ready to federalize I looked into what was necessary after I bought it from you to finish that effort and it was way to involved especially on the involvement with the government which is always way more difficult then first envisioned so like you I used car as it was intended as a track weapon. It was for me a great F and E stock PCA race car when I raced it but to be honest to continue to run up front new technology would be needed especially in the suspension area. I sold the car as I got to a point in it that either the car would need to be improved or the driver was in need of that improvement It always drew great comments in the paddock and even won the "Workers Choice Award" a couple of times as I remember. It also was in an issue of Excellence about the two 968s I owned at the time. Will be interesting to see where it ends up I hope to see it on the track again some day.
Rich
Attached Images   
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 710 Likes on 341 Posts

At Risk? Here is video from Sebring PCA race I think 2008 finished 3rd in class out of 17 .
Rich
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich, thanks for posting the video! Hadn't seen it before - super fun to watch!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Hey Mikey great write up about "our" car and I agree with the points you made. The problem I see with the car today is that when you and I were driving it the value of the car did not stop us from putting it at risk especially when I raced it. We both knew why we owned the car to do track events if seller gets anything near his price say high 30s then it is at a value that owner might need to think about before putting its condition at risk by racing it, DEs I think would be fine.
Hi Rich! I think you're exactly right. There's no insurance for track events, so you're literally risking the entire car each time you race. Let's face it, PCA Club Racing is an expensive hobby even in the less competitive "cheaper" classes. In the class this car runs, there's a relative value for the vehicles, and by extension, a relative income level for the guys racing in that class. Folks with higher disposable income, in general, tend to buy the faster/more expensive machines running in the faster classes. In E/F stock we're talking primarily about 951's and a few Euro Carrera's. So if you smash up a $10k 951, while disappointing, it's not the end of the world financially speaking for someone at that income level, and there are many more available to make another race car out of. But this little CS stands alone, value wise, in the class. Even though it's $30-$40K, the reality is it's essentially irreplaceable. Even though in the grand scheme of collectable cars, Porsche's in particular, it's not a significant model, here in the US it's absolutely unique. That forces some decisions by the owner. Most folks racing at this level can't afford to completely lose $30-$40K, and that's what's on the line in a Club Race. The car should probably be "retired" to DE duty where the owner can have a ball with little risk.

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I remember all the documentation you did getting it ready to federalize I looked into what was necessary after I bought it from you to finish that effort and it was way to involved especially on the involvement with the government which is always way more difficult then first envisioned so like you I used car as it was intended as a track weapon. It was for me a great F and E stock PCA race car when I raced it but to be honest to continue to run up front new technology would be needed especially in the suspension area. I sold the car as I got to a point in it that either the car would need to be improved or the driver was in need of that improvement It always drew great comments in the paddock and even won the "Workers Choice Award" a couple of times as I remember. It also was in an issue of Excellence about the two 968s I owned at the time. Will be interesting to see where it ends up I hope to see it on the track again some day.
Rich
Yeppers, it's simply not as easy as folks think to get a car like this CS federalized. Which means you've got a fairly expensive track only toy. I can buy a LOT of daily driver/DE Porsche performance for $30-40K. Boxster S, early Cayman S, 996 2 and 4, even early 996TT's which is what I went with. Lemme tell ya Rich, 420 stone reliable horsepower is intoxicating.

Someone will really enjoy the CS, it's a wonderfully developed platform.

Cheers
Mikey

Quick Reply: Riv Blue 968 CS on eBay