First Time Porsche Owner - My New 1992 968 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Protostar1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dougs968
Congrats! Nice car!

Replace your oil seals. When you remove your starter to install the flywheel lock, inspect the battery cables for cracks or deteriorating sheathing. Some of us have had issues with that.

Replace your variocam chain and pads.
Which seals do you recommend? I assume whatever you are recommending is accessible when doing the timing/ balance/ water pump job?

I would like a legitimate flywheel lock if possible, especially as it seems to be referenced on a regular basis for engine work, but the ArnnWorx doesn't sound to work. Should I just suck it up and get a Porsche item?

The starter was replaced on the car last year with a rebuilt Bosch unit so I am hoping this isn't a concern for me...

Originally Posted by RL911
replace the clutch hose.
Is this worth an inspection or is it an easy/ cheap swap if I have the car on a lift anyway (its my dad's but when I visit, lift access )

Originally Posted by docmirror
Welcome, congrats and good selection on car.

You don't need a tensioner with the mileage on the car. They last basically forever, or 150k miles. Flywheel lock is a 'nice to have' but also not needed. The starter for the auto is different than the stick. I just take the starter out, and use a long crowbar to hold the flywheel when you tighten the crank bolt.

For oil, most people recommend an oil with a high level of ZDDP to help our cams. I don't know what the level is in the Castrol GT, but do some research on this first. I run Mobil 1 15-40 which has a nice high ZDDP content.

Trans oil is 90wt, get good stuff cause the trans can have issues if not properly oiled. Take out the fill plug before you take out the drain plug.

Most likely you'll want to replace the thermostat in the neck of the water pump. Also, get the retaining ring in the thermostat housing, as it often gets deformed or damaged. At this age, I would strongly recommend replacing the fuel lines. They aren't a wear item, but if they are orig, at least inspect them very carefully for cracks.

You can also get parts from Roger at 928sRUS. He's stocking a fair amount of 944/968 stuff now and his prices are attractive. 817-430-2688. Ships same or next day. Don't overtighten the balance shaft belt. It runs pretty loose in there. Good luck.

<edit; check your options tag under the rear carpet and look for option 220 limited slip diff. If you have that, you'll need GL-5 trans fluid for the clutches in the trans. >
For the tensioner, I meant the tensioning tool. As much as I like tools and doing things right, $500+ for the Porsche belt tensioner seems a little ludicrous. Any doubts the ArnnWorx would do the job? I only question it because it lacks a tension range on the dial for 968 as it does for new and used 944 belts.

The shop that did my timing belt on my Evo 9 recommends Brad Penn oil due to its low cost and high zinc content. I trust the shop, anyone have thoughts on this in the 968? http://www.penngrade1.com/

I will probably go for AMSoil in the transaxle. There is no mention of an LSD on my option list. Is the stock unit an open item or a lower grade LSD?

I will add those cooling system and fuel line parts to the list!

Not yet. only 58k miles. Won't hurt to pop the cam cover off and have a look-see though.
I am hoping this is the case... I read up on the chain job and good lord, that looks like a rough job. I like DIY, but that might be a bit much.

Originally Posted by jeff968
Congrats and welcome. If you decide to join the porsche club make sure you sign up fior the 968 register. Enjoy that "1 of 1".
Really appreciate the info Jeff! Very cool to have a 1 of 1 anything!

Originally Posted by OakRZB
Congratulations. I have a '94 coupe in the similar/same color (Aventurine Green). I owned an '86 944 and '86 951. Because of the 968, I'm afraid I'll never go back. (And it looks like you have the same rims as I do.)

Also definitely do the transaxle lube using SwepCo.

Welcome !
What is the benefit SwepCo's oil?

I love the color!

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Nate - awesome purchase! Looks really clean from the picture too. Anymore pics you can share? Love that engine.

Sounds like you are on the right track as far as items to tackle. Let us know if you need parts assistance.

Mark/Pelican Parts
I need to take a few pics of the car. Overall it's in great shape, not perfect as there are a few ripples in the front fender crests and some small rock chips throughout, but it's a good looking car for sure!

Thank you guys for the feedback! I know I can search for answers to virtually everything... but I appreciate the help here. Makes it a lot easier on me, that's for sure!

- Nate
Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

The seals I was referring to are the upper and lower balance shaft seals, the crankshaft seal, and the exhaust camshaft seal. If I'm forgetting something, somebody here will remind me.

For what it's worth, I'm running Swepco 201 in the transaxle and Mobil 1 15w-50 or 5w-50 in the engine. Although I've never tried it, the Brad Penn oils are supposed to be good.

Maybe look into replacing the heater control valve when you do the water pump. Those are pretty cheap and easy to get to.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Protostar1
For the tensioner, I meant the tensioning tool. As much as I like tools and doing things right, $500+ for the Porsche belt tensioner seems a little ludicrous. Any doubts the ArnnWorx would do the job? I only question it because it lacks a tension range on the dial for 968 as it does for new and used 944 belts.

The shop that did my timing belt on my Evo 9 recommends Brad Penn oil due to its low cost and high zinc content. I trust the shop, anyone have thoughts on this in the 968? http://www.penngrade1.com/

- Nate
I see now. You want to get the tension tool. At that price, prolly a good investment. I needed one a few weeks ago and had to go hunt it down. I've heard good things about the Brad Penn, never used it.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 AM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Swepco in all my Porsche transaxles and have never had any issues even though this could due to merely staying on top of the maintenace. I've used AMSoil years ago in my Mazda Turbo II which was autocrossed for a couple of years without issue as well.

My main point was to get new transaxle lube in there if you're not certain when it was done last.

BTW I need to spring for a 'real' flywheel lock also since the one I have is for a 944. I've been finding out a lot of my 944 stuff is irrelevant to my 968...

Cheers and have fun with resetting your maintenance cycles.
-Robert
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
tamathumper
Racer

I've used the ArnnWorx tension gauge on my 968, and it worked OK. It's more of a "twang and repeat" procedure than anything.

I still need to get in there and compare that with the P9201 and the Krikit, as a "just for grins" exercise.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually go with redline for gear oil and had great results with all my cars.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Instructor

wow gorgeous machine -- really like the wheels too, it suits it. you've truly found yourself a fine example. Welcome
Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Welcome. AFAIK the option code for the LS Diff is 220.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Yes, LSD is Option Code 220.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Details of Nate's 968 from the other thread, no LSD:

NS820456 - 6spd coupe
#396 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#396 of 649 1992 NA 968 coupes
1 of 20 N9 Oak green coupes (pretty rare)
1 of 1!!! N9 Oak green coupes paired with a black interior (17 have the cashmere and 2 have greys and only 1 black, yours!)

Factory options include metallic paint, partial leather, XD4 painted crest center caps, 418 body colored side moldings, 437 full power drivers seat, 490/494 hi-fi sound speakers with amps, 586 Lumbar support, drivers side (only 35 coupes had this option)
Old 10-13-2013, 02:09 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

1 of 1!!! N9 Oak green coupes paired with a black interior

586 Lumbar support, drivers side (only 35 coupes had this option)
Is this what is typically called 'sport seats', with the extended side bolster? It sounds different.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Is this what is typically called 'sport seats', with the extended side bolster? It sounds different.
Nope, it was an option that was available on the bucket, it had a motor in it that would push out a frame piece and change the contour of the seat back for better back comfort. Very popular now days. I have it on my Audi's. Take a look at your owner's manual for a picture of the switch and operation instructions.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Protostar1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dougs968
The seals I was referring to are the upper and lower balance shaft seals, the crankshaft seal, and the exhaust camshaft seal. If I'm forgetting something, somebody here will remind me.

For what it's worth, I'm running Swepco 201 in the transaxle and Mobil 1 15w-50 or 5w-50 in the engine. Although I've never tried it, the Brad Penn oils are supposed to be good.

Maybe look into replacing the heater control valve when you do the water pump. Those are pretty cheap and easy to get to.
I assume the intake cam is totally encased in the head so it doesn't have a seal to replace? How does the variocam work with the two cams interlinked? Phasing occurs together?

I saw some recommendations to switch out the Porsche heater control valve with an Audi/ Ford piece. Would you all recommend that?

Originally Posted by tamathumper
I've used the ArnnWorx tension gauge on my 968, and it worked OK. It's more of a "twang and repeat" procedure than anything.

I still need to get in there and compare that with the P9201 and the Krikit, as a "just for grins" exercise.
Did you have an issue with the ArnnWorx tool? Or is 'OK' a max score for the tool? haha

Originally Posted by 155
wow gorgeous machine -- really like the wheels too, it suits it. you've truly found yourself a fine example. Welcome
Thank you!

Nope, it was an option that was available on the bucket, it had a motor in it that would push out a frame piece and change the contour of the seat back for better back comfort. Very popular now days. I have it on my Audi's. Take a look at your owner's manual for a picture of the switch and operation instructions.
Unfortunate it's not in the car! I am thinking (hoping?) some shady dealer shenanigans must have occurred at the original sale of this car given both the wear on the driver's seat (comparable to the rest of the car) and the generally details history I have on the car. Oh well, it is what it is!

I will keep updating the original post with my parts buy list, definitely set me straight if there are errors or better alternatives out there!

- Nate
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Sorry, I could have been more clear. The ArnnWorx tool worked well for tensioning the belt. The instructions are clear but took me a couple reads through them to make sure I was doing it right. The method it uses is kind of funky, and I found it easy to get different readings on tests done one after the other. I must have done it a half a dozen times before I was happy it was "right".
Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Protostar1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tamathumper
Sorry, I could have been more clear. The ArnnWorx tool worked well for tensioning the belt. The instructions are clear but took me a couple reads through them to make sure I was doing it right. The method it uses is kind of funky, and I found it easy to get different readings on tests done one after the other. I must have done it a half a dozen times before I was happy it was "right".
I assume for the fraction of the price the ArnnWorx tool is, it worked well enough?

Which fuel lines are the ones I should be inspecting to make sure my car doesn't burst into flames?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=201-25

Almost have a full parts list together... AutoAtlanta has a really nice setup for viewing diagrams!

- Nate

Quick Reply: First Time Porsche Owner - My New 1992 968 Coupe