Deutsche Nine TRS wing installed on car with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 968gene
Any update on the wing?
I just paid him on Monday. John said it'll take approx. 2 weeks to layup and cure. They obviously don't keep these in stock on the shelf so it'll be a week or so. I'll definitely post pics when I receive it so folks can see.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a teaser picture of my recently completed A.I.R spoiler. The spoiler required a LOT of finish work to get looking this good. Luckily I have a great paint guy.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Here is a teaser picture of my recently completed A.I.R spoiler. The spoiler required a LOT of finish work to get looking this good. Luckily I have a great paint guy.
You've mentioned the need for a LOT of finish work a couple times. Can you tell us specifically what you're referring to? What needed to be worked on make it look nice? Do you have any pics showing the problem areas? Why did it take so long to do that finish work?

Cheers
Mikey
Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also ordered from John and expect my wing and other parts this week, He said they were shipped wednesday but he also said he would get me a tracking number and I havnt heard from him....
Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

How many man hours does your body man have in the wing?
Thanks.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

please pardon my confusion... did this gorgeous thing evolve from a D9 wing?

Gene, Josh...

would you gentlemen offer a recommendation of the D9 wing?

thanks,

od.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
No sorry, but John pulled molds from an original Porsche Motorsports wing many years ago. He didn't evolve his wing from anything other than Porsche. AIR has been around ages longer than D9.

http://www.americaninternationalraci...259246&page=76

I have no idea where D9 got the pattern for their wing.

Gene, Josh...

would you gentlemen offer a recommendation of the D9 wing?

thanks,

od.
Other folks who have the D9 wing can chime in here. I've never seen one in person.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I have not purchased the wing from D9, but I would not recommend that any of you purchase from them. Their lack of customer service is epic, just do a quick search. When I purchased the last item from them I made several call to them to discuss specific details about the build, timing and shipping. They of course, said yes, yes and yes, the product that arrived was more than 60 day late and took myself and my paint guy a huge amount of hours to finish to a presentable, paintable product. Stick with a stateside vendor who care about their reputation.

Last edited by Joel8005; 02-23-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Joel8005
Although I have not purchased the wing from D9, but I would no recommend that any of you purchase from them. Their lack of customer service is epic, just do a quick search. When I purchased the last item from them I made several call to them to discuss specific details about the build, timing and shipping. They of course, said yes, yes and yes, the product that arrived was more than 60 day late and took myself and my paint guy a huge amount of hours to finish to a presentable, paintable product. Stick with a stateside vendor who care about their reputation.
I contacted him about fenders, replied quick stating he was going to send me some info and pics, Well, they never came, even after contacting him 3 more times. So I would not feel comfortable purchasing from him either.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:05 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I haven't purchased directly from D9, but I bought used some of their 951 fixed lights and they were horrible quaility.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

But....the D9 website is the best of the bunch...

Too bad the execution and delivery of their products has left a few people less than satisfied.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quick968
You've mentioned the need for a LOT of finish work a couple times. Can you tell us specifically what you're referring to? What needed to be worked on make it look nice? Do you have any pics showing the problem areas? Why did it take so long to do that finish work?

Cheers
Mikey
Let me start out by saying that I still think this is currently the most accurate version of this spoiler available and John over at A.I.R is a great guy that I had the pleasure of meeting at his shop in CA. However this wing is definitely a race part that requires a lot of work for a street car.

Here is the run down on my wing:

Many of the edges of the wing did not sit flush or line up with the aluminum adjuster plates. My paint guy had to build up some of the areas with more fiberglass or trim areas down to line everything up visually.

There are riv nuts in the rear of the side pods for the back bolts and a small tab off the front of the pods for the front screws. The front tabs on mine were drilled incorrectly. Personally I think A.I.R should leave these for the end installer to drill. Since I had to redrill the holes I was right up next to the incorrect hole on an area that is probably the most likely to fail of all places on the spoiler. These tabs also don't sit flush on the hatch frame so you will need to put a few rubber washers under them to take up the gaps.

The screws that hold the adjuster plates to the side pods and center portion of the wing were drilled on angles which caused a lot of binding when trying to adjust the center and also caused the plates not to sit flush together. I ended up having to use the side pod of another spoiler on one side. I also went to Fastenal and ordered screws with lower profile heads to sit down in the recessed plates better.

As others have done I did all of my homework and decided the A.I.R spoiler was the best option. If you're dead set on getting a TRS spoiler than I recommend the A.I.R over the other manufacturers but it's not cheap and don't expect a perfect piece right out the box.

Originally Posted by 968gene
How many man hours does your body man have in the wing?
Thanks.
Gene, I would have to ask him next time I see him. He had the spoiler for a week but of course was working on other projects as well.

No this a spoiler from A.I.R out in CA. As mentioned they have been around for many years.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM
travisgreen
Pro

My wing, and some other parts have arrived. I can't tell how far off anything is yet because my hatch isn't on
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks a lot, guys.

^^^congrats on all your sweet upgrades.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Great looking car Josh!

Quick Reply: Deutsche Nine TRS wing installed on car with pics