968 Forum 1992-1995

KEEPING IT ORGINAL

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
MaxNu944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEEPING IT ORGINAL

OK...I know this is probably not the most intelligent thing to do BUT... I want to keep my cab original and I lost the wheel lock key. Does anyone have an original set or know how I can get a replacement key? I think I read in a post that the local Porsche service center may have a ring and they may be able to have the proper one made. MY situation is I don't want to move my car right now. If someone has a set with the key I'd be interested.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Which style wheel lock do you have? These used 2 styles on the 968. The 92-early 94 used a straight key with a cap style. They are easy to get off by a locksmith. The late-94 to 95 uses a "mcgard" style lug key. More of a challenge with this style. If you still have your original manuals you may have a small card that gives the wheel lock key information so you can order a replacement at the dealer.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 AM
MaxNu944
Intermediate

I have the early style. Although it's a '94 it started on the line as a '93. The locksmith will be the way to go then. I wonder how many in my area ever worked on a set of lug locks. While I'm at it how about the cab;s rear storage bins? Will a locksmith work on those too?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

If you are trying to get the old ones off they can be rake picked really easily, even by someone who does not know how to pick locks and is only armed with some small screwdrivers from the dollar store. The locks can also be punched out with a hammer and punch, I am told.

To rake them, I wad up some paper and jam it in there to keep the lug cover from turning, then I think I used the fingernail file from my pocketknife as a tension wrench and raked the pins with a thin eyeglass screwdriver. It was really easy. http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Lock

If you want another set lots of people I am sure have them for sale with a key. I probably have a set or two as I remove them every time I get some, but I doubt I have a really nice set with caps.

-Joel.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM
MaxNu944
Intermediate

Joel,
PM me with a price for a set with a key. I have good caps. Thanks for the tips. I'll be trying that tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't go well I'll need the set and key. Thanks.
-MadMax
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

locking nuts are the worst things ever.

unless you're running Speedlines.

Quick Reply: KEEPING IT ORGINAL