GAH! never ending small stuff to work on

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default GAH! never ending small stuff to work on

Now I have a screetch from the front of the car when I start and it's not the alt belt. I heard the alt belt screetch a bit and then it went quiet, now something else is making noise. I really hope it's not the cam belt tensioner.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AC belt has very little wrap and is prone to squeal. Are you starting the car with the AC on?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BikePilot
The AC belt has very little wrap and is prone to squeal. Are you starting the car with the AC on?
No, I know it's not the AC/gen belt. That squealed for a few seconds and went away. There is another lower pitched one that isn't going away.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Ah got it, forgot that one also spun the alternator.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My power steering belt screeched when I first got the car, until I tightened it up.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:10 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

OK, TB and roller job done. The idle roller above the tension arm was pretty sloppy. Wouldn't have caused a huge problem but that was the noise. Now I have to adjust the alt belt cause that slight squeal was back.

Next is a camber adjustment for the rear wheels.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Jeez, back in there again. I started to adjust the belt, and the AC pump was moving! Shut it down, took off the belt, and the tension arm and both the top bolts are missing. One is just gone, and the other was sheared off at the little finger fitting. Went back up there with new bolts and nuts on the back, new tension bolt, new belt, and set the tension with the gauge and it's finally done.

Everything I see has come up short. Next, will be the clutch master flex. I'm gonna tackle that with a reinforcement before it starts to go bad.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

and guys on the 944T forum give my **** for not wrenching the tb/bs belt or blueprinting 2.5 liter assturds.

and why the V8 engine is inexorably tied to the long term survivability of the 944.

nor am I thrilled about a life spent battling these demons with the 968. **** like this is precisely why.

it takes special talent the likes of Porsche/Ferrari/Aston/Alfa etc. to come up with performance/design schemes that are this ridiculous.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I hear ya. I had a fair amount of fun driving in CO, and with the AC working it's pretty nice to putt around in. But, it takes plenty of garage time to keep it going compared to other cars. I don't mind so much really, it's better than sitting on my butt watching Springer reruns.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 AM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

I will admit, it is never boring with the 968. Always something to be dealt with or repaired. Currently, I cannot pass emissions. I removed the adjustable fuel regulator, header and exhaust to no avail. Put the original chip back in and still failed. I have tried everything, very frustrating. The stupid thing is that I did not pass by some minuscule amount. Like there equipment is really that sensitive. Please!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

I was helping a buddy search for a Ferrari 355....

boy was that a wake up call. biggest **** turd ever. given, it's got the most gorgeous *** in automotive history....

it's not enough that the interior screams KIT CAR, or that you must endure those gay, '80s pop-up lights... or that the engines need to come out every time you change a belt or other duhicky every 4 k miles... no. for starters, the exhaust systems get so hot because of the garbage oem cats, that the pipes actually melt, causing holes, fires and the engnes to literally burn up.

look at all the 355s for sale, they're running aftermarket exhausts, but no worries, no sooner do you change them out (about $15,000), but you're just in time for the next bit of good news---that you'll take that $30 k overhaul now... so, people get wind of the horrors from their buddies at the country club, stop driving them at 12~14 k miles, swap out the crinkled swiss cheese exhausts, and look for a sucker....

and the Ferrari 360 ? you'll never believe it... they run too hot too.

Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

The F-355 was the first chassis of the next gen 8 cyl car after the 348. Sadly, the 355 was still a WIP when it was foisted on the market. Soooooo many defects still present. Possibly the worst has been the failures in the ex valve, guide and seat. One could say this is a back pressure problem from the sticky exhaust systems, but really, the whole thing needed to be re-designed. The 360 was an improvement but only a marginal improvement. Both cars should be skipped over unless you like taking the engine out each year, and spending ugly money on exhaust systems and head work.

I have the old 3.0 engine and it's a nice compromise of simplicity with CIS injection and decent performance for it's vintage. Lots of systems not present on my car that become nightmares on later 8 cyl cars.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving my 968 through Maine winters since 2002 and have found (save the pinion bearing) that it wasn't much of a maintenance hog at all. If it were I couldn't drive it.

Calling much of anything "gay" as a derogative these days is seriously, egregiously wrong.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by docmirror

Possibly the worst has been the failures in the ex valve, guide and seat. One could say this is a back pressure problem from the sticky exhaust systems, but really, the whole thing needed to be re-designed....
absolutely.
I was going to get into this, but also happy to bottle the acid with the general biggest ****-turd evarr concept.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I pretty much agree with John. At least in my case, the 968 has been very reliable, and hasn't required an inordinate amount of maintenance, at least for a 20-year-old car. A belt change every few years isn't that bad, and it's not too tough of a job for a DIY'er, which makes it a very inexpensive job as well. Now, as far as the Ferraris, yes I could see them potenitally turning into a nightmare of a money pit.

Quick Reply: GAH! never ending small stuff to work on