Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Fuel smell in cabin

Hi gang,
I've been noticing a fuel odor lately. After researching the threads for possible causes I found one source of the problem so far. Filler neck sleeve PN/ 931 201 281 02 had several cracks in it. I could also see that kind of behind the filler neck discoloration from being wet. Probably fuel slouching around. Anyway, ordered above mentioned part and new hose PN/ 944 201 319 00 and new shut-off valve PN/ 928 201 083 02 just in case. I figure I can find fuel line locally if need be.

I tried to order a new cover gasket that is called packing cord roller PN/ 000 043 202 08 but was told it is NLA. That stuff is kind of like bath room calk. Looking at my cover there was a couple places that the calk never was displaced therefore never was really sealed well.

Went to NAPA and got a box of 3M Strip-Calk PN/ 051135-08578 (black) 20 yds. (60 feet) 1 foot lengths. $15.00
It looks like it would be a good substitute for the factory stuff. If somebody knows of something better let me know. I'm kind of winging it here.

Cheers all,
Doug
Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems good so far.
I took my filler neck apart because of fuel backing up into neck when filling.
My shut off valve checked out good and no bad fuel lines, but still having problems.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Doug, one of my issues I had with in my cab...may not help but who knows..

Cheers, mike

Similar, i had a leak that started out as a slight gas smell when I put the top down. Eventually it got worse and turned into a visible leak. I started in the trunk checking (like the parallel post stated) the filler neck and the tank points. Nothing was found there so under the car I went.

With the wheel off it was easy to see tha the leak was somewhere inside the lower tray that houses the pump.

To remove the tray you unbolt the retaining strap and remove a few screws and it lowers down with some twisting and coaching. With the tray off I found the leak easily. The banjo bolt (or whatever it's called) the holds the pressure fitting onto the pump was hand tight - WOW that was close, I could only imagine what might of happened if I had not looked inot the leak untill later-

I inspected the brass washers and re-torqued the bolt. Reassembled and all is fine. simple fix for a preplexing problem. Hope this helps- Cheers, Mike
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Just remembered, In my coupe i had an issue, check the drain line for spilled gas on the filler neck. It runs along the the inner pass wheel well from the filler to the outside behind the wheel. If it is cracked or off it drips into the rear pass wheel well compartment inSide the hatch. It is the small drain line. Some filler neck issues are due to the drain not working, then the sealant is your only defense.

Just a thought, mike
Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Mike, thanks for the input. I will probably pull the wheel and check that banjo fitting while I'm waiting on parts. I'll check out that spilled gas drain when my parts come in.

BTW, I checked under the fiberglass mat and inspected the fuel lines and and the large plastic ring nut. No sign of leaks. I did find a medium sized fiddle back spider there tho. It met with an accident. I guess it's time to nuke the garage.

Later,
Doug
Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While doing some serious twysties over the weekend, I got the strong smell of raw gas and remembered my last SMOG barely passing the evap test, looks like its time to order 931 201 281 02.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell in cabin