Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Grinding squeal when braking, pads/rotors fine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding squeal when braking, pads/rotors fine?

I have an intermittent problem when braking I'm hoping to solve. Once in a while I get a squeal when I brake and what feels like a grinding. I can't really tell exactly where it's coming from but it sort of feels like its coming from the front of the car. I went through each wheel carefully and checked all the pads and rotors and everything looks to be fine. No scoring in the rotors, plenty of pad left all the way around so I'm at a loss for what it could be?

The noise.grinding is not always there, but more often than not it is. I'm 99% sure it has something to do with the brakes because it only happens when I brake and it is more pronounced when I brake normally but dies down the harder I brake.

Any thoughts on where to start looking would be a big help...thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Hmm...

I believe the stock pad set-up had little sticky vibration dampers installed between the pads / pistons. I've not seen them in a long time, having dispensed with them for track use. The design idea is partly to keep the pads from "shuddering" or "squealing". See the cartoon in the thread link below. These may be missing (common as time and service piles up).

I'd start there. One would also want to check the condition of the front wheel bearings. All the above assumes the rotors are installed / seated, brake calipers firmly mounted, etc.

Hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...plates-tmp.jpg
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

what he said.

my front 928GTS pagid blue (very hard) pads have been screeching for going on 4 years and 80+ k miles.

they screech the most under soft braking. hard braking, they sound normal.

I figure they got to be eating my discs at somewhere closer to the rate as the pad wear than soft pads.

so i'm gonna switch em out for those cheap softer pads from O'Reilly. hopefully get maybe 50 k miles more out of the discs that way.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, the other suggestion I'm going to check out is if the pads/rotors have glazing on them...I'll post what I find.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would also help to know more info about the issue such as:

When did it start? Were there any changes or significant events before it started? When were the brakes changed last? What kind of pads are you using? Did you pull the wheels off and check the wear on the inside pads?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:50 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Year?

tino

Quick Reply: Grinding squeal when braking, pads/rotors fine?