Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

993 RS Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, need some info re how much should i torque down the steering shaft nut?
I did it manually first as hard as i could and now I when I drive the car the steering wheel wont self center after turns. It stays where I turn it if you understand.

It also sounds like its scratching agains the back cover of the steering wheel where the clock spring lives...

Inputs?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, 968 CS wheel arrived with 928 horn contact. I removed the stock airbag wheel and clockspring and see that my steering column switch does not have the hole to insert the 928 horn contact. Can I drill mine to accept the contact? Also, I am having a hard time locating a 3ohm resister. Thanks, Mike
Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM
ChatyJones
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peedster
It also sounds like its scratching agains the back cover of the steering wheel where the clock spring lives...
Had this same problem when I replaced my steering wheel. That plastic plate where the clock spring is needs to get pushed back. It's kind of a pain in the *** to do from what I remember. If my memory serves me, you start at the heater/AC controls on the dash. You see the vent controls, that slide back and forth? pull them off. Then carefully pry that plate back to reveal a couple screws holding that in place. Remove that whole mechanism. It would come all the way out. Now work your way back towards the steering wheel column. (Don't forget to curse a lot, this is integral part of the process) The rubber seal around the ignition needs to come off too.
Behind/underneath the steering wheel colum you'll find an 8mm nut. Use a nut driver to loosen it, push the plastic piece all the way back, and tighten.
I'm trying to remember this all from memory, too early in the morning, before my morning coffee (beer), so bear with me if my description is slightly off.

As for how much torque is required, I don't remember, I just remember tightening it till I felt like it wouldn't fall off, then a quarter turn more.

Then I connected the battery and hired a neighborhood kid to turn the car on in case I messed something up and the air bag exploded. (He survived)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChatyJones

Then I connected the battery and hired a neighborhood kid to turn the car on in case I messed something up and the air bag exploded. (He survived)
my method is as low as possible in the passenger foot well using my left arm to turn the car on. im right handed you see. so far no problems.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About not returning to center - Check the steering rack bushings, when the ones on my wife's car went bad that was the symptom.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dmcampbell
OK, 968 CS wheel arrived with 928 horn contact. I removed the stock airbag wheel and clockspring and see that my steering column switch does not have the hole to insert the 928 horn contact. Can I drill mine to accept the contact? Also, I am having a hard time locating a 3ohm resister. Thanks, Mike

Mike, this should be all you need for the resistor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NTE-QW3D0-1-...item5d413b65ff
Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChatyJones
Had this same problem when I replaced my steering wheel. That plastic plate where the clock spring is needs to get pushed back. It's kind of a pain in the *** to do from what I remember. If my memory serves me, you start at the heater/AC controls on the dash. You see the vent controls, that slide back and forth? pull them off. Then carefully pry that plate back to reveal a couple screws holding that in place. Remove that whole mechanism. It would come all the way out. Now work your way back towards the steering wheel column. (Don't forget to curse a lot, this is integral part of the process) The rubber seal around the ignition needs to come off too.
Behind/underneath the steering wheel colum you'll find an 8mm nut. Use a nut driver to loosen it, push the plastic piece all the way back, and tighten.
I'm trying to remember this all from memory, too early in the morning, before my morning coffee (beer), so bear with me if my description is slightly off.

As for how much torque is required, I don't remember, I just remember tightening it till I felt like it wouldn't fall off, then a quarter turn more.

I was actually able to get in there using a flex screwdriver extension and the screwdriver-style hex head. It's a squeeze and might take a couple minutes of playing around but you can get in from the underside without having to remove any of the trim.

Quick Reply: 993 RS Steering wheel