968 Forum 1992-1995

Plastic molding above door/below roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Plastic molding above door/below roof

The piece of plastic that runs above the door/below the roof from approximately the top of the pillar to the hatch..... Is that removable? Is it snapped on in some way. Mine is chipped up and wanted to have painted when I get front bumper cover painted. Anyone removed one?

Recomendations on dealer parts ?? Good internet source?

Thanks John
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

are you talking about the drip rail? If so, it's aluminum and held on by steel clips. The clips will likely break and will need to be replaced. There is also a very small rubber strip on the inboard side of the molding that should be removed or taped prior to painting. If you are careful and use a non-marring tool (something plastic) you should be able to pry the molding off. It should move outboard as it is released from the clips.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I suppose it is the drip rail. Looked and felt like plastic, its white under the paint, perhaps thats some form of primer. It looked like it might pry off. Thanks.

I also need to buy a dozen or so pieces of rubber molding and other dealer items, who give good dealer part pricing??
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM
dkdm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like drip rail to me. You don't really mention it, but goes from the hatch all the way down the "A" pillar to the front fender.

They do come off. Had mine off for paint. I actually think I pulled mine off without breaking any clips (even though I may have replaced them all afterwards). Seem like I also slid the whole drip rail backwards, like 3 inches, to release from the clips. Might be instructional pics here somewhere

Cheers

Quick Reply: Plastic molding above door/below roof