Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Any Interest in the Camshaft Adjustment Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM
calguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaron,

Count me in!

Best,

Calguy
'80 924 N/A
'92 968 Cabriolet
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So, from my meager-but-growing understanding about this subject, the cam block tool allows you to set the relationship between the two cams without needing to pressurize the variocam. Seems like a good option, since pressurizing the variocam, especially with air, becomes less reliable as the variocam assemblies age and allow air to escape between the piston and the chamber wall, which prevents the chain from becoming fully tensioned. This potentially introduces significant error, since the WSM procedure assumes that the chain is fully tensioned. But the downside of the cam block tool is that you're relying on the accuracy of machining of this block, which I'm sure isn't a trivial matter to get exactly right. Pick your poison, I guess...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This tool is not a substitute for the tool that pressurizes the variocam tensioner. What you're thinking of is clocking the exhaust cam sprocket, aka 'timing the variocam'. http://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/techni...-timing-01.htm

This tool is just for when you replace the chain, to make sure you put the chain back on the right way. Most cams have the raised arrows you can refer to. If you don't have the arrows, you can make this tool out of cardboard - it's not supposed to do anything but show you the proper alignment.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
joes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please put me down for one.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I'll take one.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
This tool is not a substitute for the tool that pressurizes the variocam tensioner. What you're thinking of is clocking the exhaust cam sprocket, aka 'timing the variocam'. http://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/techni...-timing-01.htm

This tool is just for when you replace the chain, to make sure you put the chain back on the right way. Most cams have the raised arrows you can refer to. If you don't have the arrows, you can make this tool out of cardboard - it's not supposed to do anything but show you the proper alignment.
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that this tool provided a means to set the relationship between the exhaust and intake cam, without having to rely on extending the variocam mechanism through the use of compressed air. My cams had marks on them, so there was no ambiguity as to how to install them, and then I used Chris Jennings procedure, to which you provided a link, to time my cams. But I've since become aware that this method is flawed, in that air will blow by the seals in an old variocam, causing it to not extend fully, which throws off the relationship between the cams during the timing procedure, leading to what can be substantial errors.

Quick Reply: Any Interest in the Camshaft Adjustment Gauge?