968 Forum 1992-1995

Lugage Compartment Light has no Power in Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM
calguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lugage Compartment Light has no Power in Cabriolet

Has anyone ever run into this situation before on their cabriolet?

The rear luggage compartment light does not light up. After checking the line for power it looks to be dead (no power). I believe it’s a Red/Yellow although it may be Red/White. The interior compartment light comes on when the trunk is open (this is normal) or doors are open but the luggage compartment doesn’t. I’ll be checking for continuity of the “dead” power line to the light but does anyone know where this line goes to? I figure by looking at the line it goes into the interior on the left side of the vehicle and probably runs to the fuse box under the left side of the dash but no clue why it’s dead other than maybe a break in the line somewhere between there and the light in the trunk. Could it be going to a separate fuse? I checked the main fuses under the hood and there is one for both the luggage and interior light and it looks good.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Calguy
’80 924 N/A
’92 968 Cabriolet
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you taken the lamp assembly apart? They are fragile and can break inside. It is a common VW dome light, about $10 new. I feel these parts are good to replace before they break in some weird way and drain your battery. They get brittle with age.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 AM
calguy
Instructor

Hi Jfrahm,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did but that unfortunately didn't do the trick. Although, you are right the old one broke instantly upon removal! It was really brittle and had turned yellow too!

Best,

Calguy
924 N/A
968 Cabriolet
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM
calguy
Instructor

Thumbs up Lugage Compartment Light has no Power in Cabriolet

Great news!

Found out why the mysterious luggage compartment light would not turn on! On the left side of the trunk beneath the carpeted lining there is a two pin connector that connects the red white wire (which is power) leading to the luggage light to another set of a different colored wire. Not sure why the different color but it turns out the connector was a bit loose. A light juggle of the connector and a little bit of electrical tape to keep it in place did the trick!

Of course, I had already taken the left rear speaker panel and rubber wire sill molding off before I realized this (D'Oh!) but all's well that ends well!

Cheers,

Calguy
'80 924 N/A
'92 968 Cabriolet

Quick Reply: Lugage Compartment Light has no Power in Cabriolet