Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
968norway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airbox mod is pretty harmless, some 50mm holes, some better response. If you have the plastic cover, there should no problem with warm air. Tried the K&N, went back to standard, no difference, using RSbarn chip, works fine. Been at this for a while, there are only small gains to be made without major engine mods (read internal changes or forced induction).

My 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't want to get into what can be a raging debate over the merits and risks of the K & N style air filter, but I do have one data point. I did the air box mod, including the K & N filter, when my car had about 90,000 miles on it. It was tracked extensively since the mod, and I tore the engine down for a complete rebuild (didn't necessarily need it - the project just sort of mushroomed) at 115K. As part of the rebuild, I had the cylinder bores measured at top, center, and bottom by a local machine shop. Their conclusion was that there was essentially zero wear in the cylinder bores, and that my block "would probably be good for a million miles." So, maybe a K & N filter isn't necessarily the kiss of death...
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I added a K&N drop in filter and a Superchip in 1995 or so. 170k miles now and embarassingly I think my last oil change was nearly a year and 7k miles ago. I checked my oil level yesterday and it was amazingly still sitting on exactly full and the oil on the dipstick was barely darker than fresh oil. I just wish my car looked as fresh as the engine seems to be. Less rattles would be nice too.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by 968norway
The airbox mod is pretty harmless, some 50mm holes, some better response. If you have the plastic cover, there should no problem with warm air. Tried the K&N, went back to standard, no difference, using RSbarn chip, works fine. Been at this for a while, there are only small gains to be made without major engine mods (read internal changes or forced induction).

My 2 cents.

Thanks for your feedback..
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
I don't want to get into what can be a raging debate over the merits and risks of the K & N style air filter, but I do have one data point. I did the air box mod, including the K & N filter, when my car had about 90,000 miles on it. It was tracked extensively since the mod, and I tore the engine down for a complete rebuild (didn't necessarily need it - the project just sort of mushroomed) at 115K. As part of the rebuild, I had the cylinder bores measured at top, center, and bottom by a local machine shop. Their conclusion was that there was essentially zero wear in the cylinder bores, and that my block "would probably be good for a million miles." So, maybe a K & N filter isn't necessarily the kiss of death...
Thanks for feedback...
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eyeman
I added a K&N drop in filter and a Superchip in 1995 or so. 170k miles now and embarassingly I think my last oil change was nearly a year and 7k miles ago. I checked my oil level yesterday and it was amazingly still sitting on exactly full and the oil on the dipstick was barely darker than fresh oil. I just wish my car looked as fresh as the engine seems to be. Less rattles would be nice too.
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeman

i run about 8 k~10 k miles on M1 and just reach in with my fingers and twist on a fresh Mahle at 4~5 k when i get a minute.

Last edited by odurandina; 04-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

I think I might go with a supercharger....I spoke to my mechanic today and he thinks that it's the best option to get more power..
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
I think I might go with a supercharger....I spoke to my mechanic today and he thinks that it's the best option to get more power..
Nope. It's a high compression engine without a dish quench chamber. Supercharger gains will be modest at best. When you get to the detonation margin, the engine will retard the ignition to compensate. I don't know who you're talking to, but it sounds to me like they want to sell you $5-6000 of stuff, and not be concerned with the best use of your money.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Useful engine performance modifications for the naturally aspirated 968 are:

1: DME "chip"

2: New exhaust system without catalyst, utilizing Stahl or other equal-length long-tube headers and high flow (or no) muffler

3: Lightened flywheel
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmirror
Nope. It's a high compression engine without a dish quench chamber. Supercharger gains will be modest at best. When you get to the detonation margin, the engine will retard the ignition to compensate. I don't know who you're talking to, but it sounds to me like they want to sell you $5-6000 of stuff, and not be concerned with the best use of your money.
Thanks for the feeback..
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDS968
Useful engine performance modifications for the naturally aspirated 968 are:

1: DME "chip"

2: New exhaust system without catalyst, utilizing Stahl or other equal-length long-tube headers and high flow (or no) muffler

3: Lightened flywheel
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh and if your oily air filter ruins the MAF, your part number is 951 606 125 02 and you will need to special order it from Germany for $754.50.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a supercharger and the performance gains are grin-inducingly extraordinary. I don't have detonation issues, and I don't have retarded timing. I just have loads of torque when I push on the right pedal.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you datalogging your timing? I have an SC car as well and I agree you can get great power. However I feel it is is at the limits of what's OK for the motor in some adverse weather conditions or if you were to get a tank of bogus gasoline. The piston skirts are also very short so there is risk of bore scuffing under detonation. The early cars also have questionable rods. I think there is a place for the SC but the IMO I would not trust the engine management alone to keep you from becoming a pedestrian with an empty wallet. Water injection and/or charge cooling, knock counting and a close watch on the noises and behavior would be advised, particularly in warm weather. I have thought about going to E85 which would probably add a nice safety margin too.

If I had my time and money back from the SC I'd rather put it into a V8 conversion. The noise from the SC (Raptor in my case) gets tiresome with the top down. But that's just me and the Rotrex is probably quieter. I admit when I first ran it I liked the SC whine and liked the attention but that has kinda faded.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 04-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter