Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Wheel fitment??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have first hand knowledge of these guys http://www.calchrome.com/service_blackchrome.php
but they seem to have the wheel thing worked out. What is disappointing is they don't do plastic caps.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 968gene
my $0.02 is that powder coating wheels is not the preferred method by many "experts" because the baking process, if not well controlled, can cause the alloy wheel to be weakened, "they" say. Have you considered "black chroming"? It may be easier to clean, durable, and enhance the look of your cab.
MGW-Fla

968gene and I have discussed this before. I agree that extreme heat could weaken the alloy, but every professional wheel repair organization offers powder as an option. If there were extreme liability involved they wouldn't.

Would I powder a set of track wheels? No

Would I powder a set of street wheels? Yes

Some of "them" also say that chrome plating weakens the wheel. I truly don't know. Perhaps someone else here does. I also don't know what process is involved in the black chrome. But we know it's not just painting and it may weaken also.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 968gene
I don't have first hand knowledge of these guys http://www.calchrome.com/service_blackchrome.php
but they seem to have the wheel thing worked out. What is disappointing is they don't do plastic caps.
These guys chromed a wheel on my bike - awesome work and 3 times the length of the warranty offered by others.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure the baking temp for powder coating is low enough not to have an adverse affect on an alloy wheel.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the front wheel bearing cup issue when I purchased my aftermarket wheels. The seller swore he had a 968 in his shop using the same wheels without spacers, but I doubt he even knew what a 968 was. I can't remember the exactly but I think I bought 10mm spacers and had them machined down to 5 mm. Works fine but I'd get longer lug bolts if I tracked my car.

Quick Reply: Wheel fitment??