What method to use to change oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What method to use to change oil

Guys,

I'm changing the oil on my 968 for the first time and noticed that this car sits fairly low. I'm use to driving my other cars up onto car ramps and then changing the oil. Looks like ramps won't fit due to the front bumper being so low.

So, what method do you use to jack up the car? I guess use a jack to lift up the car and put a jack underneath each front side? Man things get so complicated with these cars!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

staged 2 by 10 ramp will get you about 8 inches higher.

also good for getting to the fuel filter.

Mahle filter, M1 0w50 winter, and your favorite 15w50 synthetic in the summer.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a special round jack extension that i use on my floor jack. I jack up one side of the car, remove the covers, pull the drain plug, then I let the jack down to get a full drain, remove the filter as well, then raise the car again, put back together, and fill with oil.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Both of these are great suggestions. I'll give both a try!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
M1 0w50 winter, and your favorite 15w50 synthetic in the summer.
If he still has a catalyst, the 0W-50 is probably always a bad idea. And if he doesn't have the catalyst, then there's no need to switch from the 0W-50 to the 15W-50 in the summer.

What suspension do you have? Is it an aftermarket setup? My car is quite low on the M030 setup and I think I can still get it up my ramps. They look like this:

Since the drain plug is on the rear passenger side, you can drain the crankcase effectively by jacking up the passenger side of the car, setting it with a jackstand (I usually jack it with the factory jacking point and then set the jackstand under the A-arm, as far inboard as possible), then jacking up the driver's side and setting it with a jackstand one notch higher than on the passenger side. This tilts the car so that the drain plug is lower than the rest of the oil pan.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rhkwon
Both of these are great suggestions. I'll give both a try!
The messy part will be to remove your oil filter,first cover your steering (rubber boot) then paper towel wrap the base of the filter as much as you can.The oil filter will be coming from the top (not the from underneath the car) disconnect the coil wire & shove it aside,cover the fender with a rag so no oil will get on your paint.Make sure you got plenty of paper towels ready to catch the oil dripping from the filter.You will save yourself lot of hassle by buying which I consider the only proper toll (see pics) for removing oil filter on our cars.Like mention the main thing is to cover the rubber boot & all rubber hoses before removing so no oil will get to them.Btw make sure that you buy a new (oil drain plug washer) size is 22x27 mm part # R 900-123-049-03 & like mention a Mahle filter.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by JDS968
If he still has a catalyst, the 0W-50 is probably always a bad idea. And if he doesn't have the catalyst, then there's no need to switch from the 0W-50 to the 15W-50 in the summer.+ 1 x 1000

What suspension do you have? Is it an aftermarket setup? My car is quite low on the M030 setup and I think I can still get it up my ramps. They look like this:_____ I'm also real low so I mod my ramps by adding an extension to them (see pics work like a charm).

Since the drain plug is on the rear passenger side, you can drain the crankcase effectively by jacking up the passenger side of the car, setting it with a jackstand (I usually jack it with the factory jacking point and then set the jackstand under the A-arm, as far inboard as possible), then jacking up the driver's side and setting it with a jackstand one notch higher than on the passenger side. This tilts the car so that the drain plug is lower than the rest of the oil pan.
+ 1 Doing the same as you.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 AM
rhkwon
Instructor

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry that has the filter in a similar position as the 968. I've learned that the best way to not have oil spilling out from the filter upon removal is to poke a small hole in the middle of the filter before removing it. This helps to release the pressure and let's any residual oil in the filter drain back into the engine. I always use as thin/small pick as possible and hit it with a hammer. If you use a screwdriver that is too big a size you risk making the filter very difficult to take off.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though my car is lowered, I am able to reach under and undo the sump plug without raising the car. It's actually not that hard.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry that has the filter in a similar position as the 968. I've learned that the best way to not have oil spilling out from the filter upon removal is to poke a small hole in the middle of the filter before removing it. This helps to release the pressure and let's any residual oil in the filter drain back into the engine. I always use as thin/small pick as possible and hit it with a hammer. If you use a screwdriver that is too big a size you risk making the filter very difficult to take off.
I don't recommend this for these filters -- they have an anti-drainback valve in them, so you won't get all the oil out of the filter, no matter what you do. Better to be able to remove and quickly invert it so you hold the oil in the filter, in my opinion.

In any case, it's still hard not to make a mess removing this filter, but it's not nearly as bad as some newer cars!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Originally Posted by ernie9468
The messy part will be to remove your oil filter,first cover your steering (rubber boot) then paper towel wrap the base of the filter as much as you can.The oil filter will be coming from the top (not the from underneath the car) disconnect the coil wire & shove it aside,cover the fender with a rag so no oil will get on your paint.Make sure you got plenty of paper towels ready to catch the oil dripping from the filter.You will save yourself lot of hassle by buying which I consider the only proper toll (see pics) for removing oil filter on our cars.Like mention the main thing is to cover the rubber boot & all rubber hoses before removing so no oil will get to them.Btw make sure that you buy a new (oil drain plug washer) size is 22x27 mm part # R 900-123-049-03 & like mention a Mahle filter.
Where do you get this tool from?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ArnnWorx sells something similar.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=236
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

wtf ?

i've been using my hand for 94 k miles. LOL.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Where do you get this tool from?
www.automotion.com will have one quote at $10.99 ( just enter oil filter tool in search) mine is an old one & deeper,I did bougth it about twelve years ago while I own my 944. --------Btw Ode I don't care to skin my hand all to sh"*t while trying to remove or installing an oil filter so I do it the smart way.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Originally Posted by odurandina
wtf ?

i've been using my hand for 94 k miles. LOL.
That's what I've been doing on all my cars too.

But I guess the good thing about this tool is that you would have the ability to properly torque the oil filter. The service manual calls for 15ft/lbs

Quick Reply: What method to use to change oil