HIDs. Finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
i haven't looked at it closely, but i'm guessing the solution goes something like this;

1. start with the smallest complete Xenon lamp (and lens) you can find (you already found the lamp, yes?).

2. now cut the rear of the 968 driving lamp housing to allow the Xenon lamp to sit comfortably inside behind the outer lens of the housing...

this will obviously require a the gutting of part of the lamp housing and fabricating a cradle for the Xenon lamp to be firmly cradled inside (perhaps with the help of clear silicone adhesive which will dampen the bumps and vibrations from driving).

3. now the *** end of the Xenon lamp is overhanging out of the back of the 968 driving lamp housing....

4. so you need to construct a cover and and keep the air and moisture out.... make it so that it's front makes a flush seal over the back of the 968 driving light housing and clamps down with screws (my guess is to start with the bottom end of a food containing or shampoo bottle), then make make it more solid by laminating it with epoxy, and fabbing a base wide enough to include an o-ring to ensure a good seal..... then, drill holes for the wires.

5. then, notch out the bumper cover to accommodate the outcropping.....

*(may require that you take a sunday afternoon/evening/and into the wee hours of monday off from posting on OT).

good luck.

So far, it appears that, while extremely snug, the projector I've found should fit ENTIRELY within the housing. The key is making it mate up to the stock mounting brackets (which incorporates the adjustment screws) for the foglight projector, which it is replacing. If I can make it mount up to that bracket, it will make the projectors fit much more securely and, more importantly, adjust MUCH more precisely and easily. However, the brackets will need some amount of modification.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this mod as well. Aren't our fog/driving lights projector style? In which case an HID bulb and an outboard ballast unit (and possibly some wiring adapters) would be all you'd need?

Wait a minute, that solution is WAY too easy. As we all know, NOTHING is easy on a 968!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by bombfactory
I've been thinking about this mod as well. Aren't our fog/driving lights projector style? In which case an HID bulb and an outboard ballast unit (and possibly some wiring adapters) would be all you'd need?

Wait a minute, that solution is WAY too easy. As we all know, NOTHING is easy on a 968!
The projectors for the foglights are shaped for a halogen bulb and for foglights, which means that they will not be able to correctly project a beam from an arc light, or project it as a headlight. You need completely new projector units, designed for HIDs. New projectors also allows you to get bixenon functionality, meaning that you can use them as high beams as well as low beams.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Thanks JDS - I figured it couldn't be a simple plug and play.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
The projectors for the foglights are shaped for a halogen bulb and for foglights, which means that they will not be able to correctly project a beam from an arc light, or project it as a headlight. You need completely new projector units, designed for HIDs. New projectors also allows you to get bixenon functionality, meaning that you can use them as high beams as well as low beams.
Eh, in most cases Halogen projectors work just fine with HID's. Sure it's not perfect, but it's 5 million times better than some kid in a Honda with HID's in his reflector headlight. I've done HID's in halogen projectors in 4 different cars (including a set of 993 fogs which are similar to the 968) and never had a problem with output pattern or glare. I kept high beams as halogens though.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great work here
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Alex - I have HIDs fitted in the projector low beams of the aftermarket headlights in my E36 M3. While the beam pattern is not quite perfect, horizontal cut-off is sharp and the light output of the HIDs is so good it doesn't bug me. I've never even used my standard high beams, as the HID low beams are far superior.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

my driver side lamp is biased a bit right of center.

wonder if they made it that way on purpose.

because that's the way other cars are set up at the factory.

either way, it worked out perfect.

Quick Reply: HIDs. Finally