Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How much for a transmission rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much for a transmission rebuild?

There is a car I'm interested in and it needs transmission works (6-speed). Assuming the worst, what does a rebuild cost for the 968 6 speed? Are used units difficult to source? I did a search and didn't find much on rebuilding or sourcing used ones. I get the feeling these are pretty reliable trannys which is probably the reason.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

There are used transaxles out there, but the problem is that you have no idea what's in them. They properly should be taken apart and rebuilt with replacement parts for anything worn. However, finding replacement parts is a nightmare. And they WOULD be pretty reliable transmissions, except that the synchros are inexcusably delicate, and once the synchros go, there's not much to prevent the rest of the gearset getting chewed up. In reality, it's a gearbox that likes to be babied. Shift with your fingertips, and let it rest momentarily at the synchro engagement point until it slips the rest of the way into gear without effort.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

where are you located ?

i have a spare box that's solid.

there's also Scott Dewitt and Kevin Gross who can rebuild it, and deliver it trouble-free for a fair price.

typical rebuild including parts; $3,000~$4,000 or more depending on parts need.

Advanced Automotion - Corpus Christi, TX, 817 939-6761

Catellus Engineering; Stow, MA, 617 306-0457

contact; Kevin Gross kgross@connact.com.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2nd gear synchro is gone, was grinding some from 1st to 2nd shift, so have just been starting out in 2nd for the little I drive the car & no grinding at all.

Local Porsche shop I know & trust said I could drive it that way for a while till I decided to have it rebuilt, which would need doing at some point in the near future. Just not sure I want them doing it cause I know as busy as they are they'll have my car for at least several months to get it done. I've seen lesser jobs take a very long time with them. Even though the head guy told me a couple months ago he'd do it for about $2500 for me. Time without car versus a great price. I know they'd do a good job though. Another P-shop I've used could do it too, just wondering about having them take it out, ship it out for the rebuild & re-install the rebuilt one.

So between Dewitt or Gross, any thoughts on quality, timing, and/or costs? Has anyone actually sent a tranny to them & can report on their experience? Is taking it out & reinstalling an involved job? Not ever done that before & not sure I want to tackle such a job with my 968 being the 1st!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

we've got several members on this board, including myself who (from experience), have nothing but good things to say about both. both keep a lot of parts onhand, but they'll surely be ordering more, including recommending bearings/synchro's/gearsets, etc where needed. chewed up or tired gears aren't at all unusual.

btw, i've got spare 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears in very good/great condition if anyone needs....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

IIRC, rebuild of my transaxle was around $2200, including the removal and reinstall. No big parts list, the box was displaying the typical "pinion bearing" noise issue at around 147k miles in 2006. Expect to replace a CV joint or wheel bearing back there too. Not uncommon at this advanced age / mileage.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local independent shop gave me a price around $1200 for pinion rebuild(he thinks) if I bring just the tranny in.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

it all depending on the part list to replace. I just bought a used ta to put in my race car. need 2-5 gear clusters and that is pretty expensive!

Quick Reply: How much for a transmission rebuild?