Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

My Belts, Pumps, Seals, Variocam, etc!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's just the plastic distributor cap cover. Not really needed.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 AM
jax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... part #20 "lid", do I really need to replace any? Somewhere I got that I only need (1) but there are (3) in the PET.

Apologies I have not been around in a while to bother all of you nice people, I will try to do better.

Thanks,
Jak
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

For future reference -- Paragon sells a kit that includes most of the seals that you've highlighted (including those caps).

As to your question, I don't think those are a necessary replacement. You could probably get by with some RTV gray around the edges. One note, when you take off the bridge to get to them, make sure you don't lose the cylindrical plugs for the oil galleries. Not having them there will lead to low oil pressure in the head -- meaning lots of top end noise and wear.

I found one of mine in the bottom of my oil pan, evidently lost by the mechanic who RTVed those caps on my car.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Krag50
Track Day

Head gasket
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a head gasket kit sold for these cars. It covers everything needed.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 AM
jax
Advanced

I have the porsche flywheel lock. The starter is out. The flywheel lock is in... well mostly in.
It appears that the tool does not go all the way in, or sit flush on the starter mating surface. Looks to be about a 1/4" gap. Is this normal. It appears to be locked but wanted to check with the pro's before I really start to wrench on the crank pulley nut.

So far, the cam teeth look great (the ones I can see), and I think you will all be impressed with how deep the tensioner pad grooves are.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

It sits flush on my engine. Maybe a little wiggle of the crankshaft and a gentle tap?

Rob
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in Oz
It sits flush on my engine. Maybe a little wiggle of the crankshaft and a gentle tap?

Rob
Yuup, you want to make sure you have it fully seated and not sheer off some teeth from the flywheel.

Also, make sure you lock your cam gear clocking before you take the triple square bolt off, or you will throw your timing off. This was covered in the DIY.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 PM
jax
Advanced

Thanks for the quick replies. I will try and get the flywheel lock seated better.

My goal was to keep the same timing, but I dont know if that will be possible. I understand, to keep the same timing I need to lock the camgear in relation to the backing plate. Here are some pictures and then I will tell you why I am confused...

In the first image there is a sizeable gap between the rotor and the cam gear. Looking in the PET I see there is supposed to be a spacer here and that even if you bend the rotor as in the second picture, yep, you still need those spacers. Can I assume that my timing is not correct, and that the cam gear is just resting on the furthest edge of its keyway? Or is there some other way this camgear is locked in the correct Timed position.

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations!

Jax
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Jax, search for the camshaft pads DIY in this forum that Raj and Arash posted. It will answer most of your questions. The rest of us can fill in the blanks. Maybe someone here can post the link?

Looks to me like your timing is pretty close looking at the factory witness marks on the gear and the back cover. Mine was off a whole belt tooth when I did mine. Scary.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 AM
jax
Advanced

Thanks Doug. Yes, Im definitely using Arash's and Raj's DIY as my guide. Im pretty good at installing in reverse of removal, but it appears the P.O.(S) Shop didn't feel the need to re-use all the parts, or they Jury-Rig'd pieces they lost.

As far as the timing, I would agree that the marks line up, but something doesnt feel right. I need to re-look at the WSM see if I can figure out what Im missing.

Next Question:
Will I need a new Variocam oil tube or does this look re-usable. I have a feeling this tube would be very difficult/expensive to replace.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Is it cracked at the flange? It does look a little bent maybe. Hard for me to tell on my I phone.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 AM
jax
Advanced

It is straight but it "seems" cracked, but nothing is loose or anything.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM
jax
Advanced

red or blue loctite thread locker on the variocam allen head bolt/stds that prevent tensioner pads from sliding off? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

If it were mine, I'd first clean it thoroughly with MEK or lacquer thinner and then inspect under magnification.

I have a good spare I don't really want to part with, but when I get home this evening I'll look at it and will visually compare it to yours and let you know what I see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Belts, Pumps, Seals, Variocam, etc!