968 Forum 1992-1995

Starting to think about boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starting to think about boost

I have the 1r rods but am still considering putting a mild boost kit on at some point. Likely a 6lbs kit and would go to full boost not very often. After boosting the 928 I can see how much more drivable a car is with boost. Even at low rpm and minimum boost it really transform the car to something modern.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
968tcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont do it.......6lbs.......12lbs....18lbs it never ends

lol
mike
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 968tcab

Dont do it.......6lbs.......12lbs....18lbs it never ends.

this....

you'll never happy getting half pregnant with the wrong engine. just enjoy this engine a few more years...

along the way, start accumulating the parts/$$$ you'll need to rebuild/turbo or V8.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
I have the 1r rods but am still considering putting a mild boost kit on at some point. Likely a 6lbs kit and would go to full boost not very often. After boosting the 928 I can see how much more drivable a car is with boost. Even at low rpm and minimum boost it really transform the car to something modern.
It could be an interesting project to see how much boost can be run on a stock 968 without running into issues. There were unsuccessful attempts made in the past. I would hope you have good success because I don't see why this should be such an issue, as long as the boost level is low.
Boost is boost, supercharging or turbo-chanrging. If our cars can run on 6psi of boost super-charged, no reason why they can't do the same turbo-charged. A 300hp low boost application running on stock compression would make it a great car around town.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

The issue with supercharging IMO is that the change in boost pressure can be so rapid you can get a storm of detonation before the timing is pulled back. The supercharger is already spooled and bypassing and provides boost right away if you go to full throttle from cruise. A turbo has to spool up.

The 968 piston skirts are also rather short and thus the engine is more sensitive to bore scuffing under detonation.

Overall I think the supercharged 968 is a great car to drive but fuel quality and environmental factors are of concern. These factors can be mitigated but perhaps never eliminated.

I feel a V8 conversion would evolve to be a better, more reliable, more confidence-worthy car but the cost is much higher and I would expect some issues early on as conversion related problems are addressed.

-Joel.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
The issue with supercharging IMO is that the change in boost pressure can be so rapid you can get a storm of detonation before the timing is pulled back. The supercharger is already spooled and bypassing and provides boost right away if you go to full throttle from cruise. A turbo has to spool up.

The 968 piston skirts are also rather short and thus the engine is more sensitive to bore scuffing under detonation.

Overall I think the supercharged 968 is a great car to drive but fuel quality and environmental factors are of concern. These factors can be mitigated but perhaps never eliminated.

I feel a V8 conversion would evolve to be a better, more reliable, more confidence-worthy car but the cost is much higher and I would expect some issues early on as conversion related problems are addressed.

-Joel.
Joel, I know what you mean with the enviormental factors but what do you mean about fuel qaulity being a concern?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is all in the tuning. I have my supercharger install tuned with minimal detonation through setting an appropriate AFR and retarding the stock timing. The knock count is no worse than it was before it was supercharged. For added safety I run an octane booster for track work.

If you don't change the tuning and fuel correctly, you will probably run into some issues in the longer term.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Fuel quality: You can buy quality fuel but you have no control over what they actually sell you. If your build requires premium and you buy premium, what happens if you are sold regular?

I think more modern boosted cars are better at adapting to dangerous conditions caused by bad fuel or particularly hot days, etc. To make a boosted 968 safe IMO it should have some feedback so the driver knows if knock counts are way up. Water injection helps too, but it gets a bit fiddly. I was playing around with ideas like running an electronic BOV to limit boost until the car was in WOT mode and the water injection was activated and had pressure (to prevent boosting suddenly while still in part throttle mode.) An intercooler would help too, it would increase the plenum volume as well as cooling the intake charge.

The issue IMO is that a 90 or 95% solution is nowhere near as difficult as the 98% solution. With a 95% solution you might break the car on a hot July day. Or you choose to drive something else, or you have the forethought to use race gas that day.

Tuning is key but you can't tune a 968 to make it spontaneously grow a KLR or a MAP sensor.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

There are people who succesfully tune 944T retaining the DME/KLR but using a MAP sensor plugged in place of the stock AFM.
Since the DME from the 16V engines handles knock with no KLR box, I see no reason a turbo'd 968 could not be run with the stock 968 DME box associated to a MAP sensor instead of the MAF...? Provided there are enough outputs on a 968 DME to control a cycling valve.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
rgs944
Drifting

So if someone was going to supercharge a 968 with reliable safe boost to enhance street performance what type of charger would you go with? I really like the Rotrex in my 928. It givse me immediate and very noticable low end power which is very usuable on the street. What tuning tools are used. The 928 has the sharktuner. What is the best way to moniter knocks in a 944 or 968?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotrex C30-94.

Tune using TunerPro RT and an Ostrich Emulator. Hook up a datalogger such as an Innovate LM-2 and install a knock counter.

See the link in my signature.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Thanks, lots of great info.

Quick Reply: Starting to think about boost