968 Forum 1992-1995

968 as DD? Yeah/nay and your reasons.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I can't get a starter today, but I'll plan to replace it very soon. I am aware the duty cycle of a starter is about 30 seconds or so. I'm sure it overheated pushing the car around for as long as the battery kept it up.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Doc, if you need, I made a puller/installation tool you can use to remove the oilite bushing located in the block that the end of the starter shaft is supported by. It works great. Let me know if you do.

Doug
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
My dinner trip did not go well. C&P from the 928 forum.

Well - I offended the 928 gods by driving the wrong car to the dinner. So, they smote me. I parked my 968 nose in to a curb surround, hopped out and went inside. It was pouring buckets all the way over from W Ft Worth, and everything around the car was wet.

When it was time to go home, I found my car with the front wheels jumped up over the curb, and the back wheels resting against it. 'What the hell' I said? Who bumped my car forward? I'm looking for damage and there was none so I hopped in and tried to start it. Completely dead. No lights, no sirens, no power at all.

After some fiddling with jumper cables, it was discovered that the starter had engaged itself and since the car is a stick and in first gear, it bumped forward until the rear tires were just off the ground and spinning. Drained the batt all the way down.

It went home on a trailer, and I've got to see what caused the solenoid to engage with the keys in my pocket. Water ingress is the only thing I can think of, and I'll be looking for a break in the solenoid pick wire tomorrow.
That happened to me too, mine was the wiring to the starter. Insulation was broken down and allowed the wires to touch.

Oh, and I have a serious transmission issue at the moment, but usually, I am DDing my 968 100 miles a day and it has 258k miles on it. I think they are a great bang for the buck long term DD.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

My 968 was a supremely comfortable and competent commuter car, with reasonably good gas mileage. Wish I could say the maintenance costs were low, but they weren't. This car gave me good and faithful service until I sold it with 172K miles.

I've used Boxsters as commuting cars with equally satisfactory results, albeit in a mid-engine configuration. The things I look for in a commuter car are all there - comfortable/supportive seats, good performance (braking, steering, acceleration, etc.), and fun to drive (all my Porsches have been stick shift, by the way). My gas mileage averages about 28 or 29 in mostly highway driving.

The 968 was good (real good, in fact) and I miss it, but the Boxster is a superior car in every way.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911

My 968 was a supremely comfortable and competent commuter car, with reasonably good gas mileage. Wish I could say the maintenance costs were low, but they weren't. This car gave me good and faithful service until I sold it with 172K miles.

i'm at 164 k miles and my experience is identical. good (great actually) and faithful service in every way... catastrophic engine failures are virtually non-existent, as the cores of the engines are solid..... ands the clutches last a very long time... and the pinion bearing years notwithstanding, the transmissions are very good.... still, beyond the normal maintenance which is considerably expensive, you've got AC pumps, motor mounts, oil coolers and ps systems leaking.... and headgaskets rotting.... the cars are on a fairly routine schedule for these secondary, expensive repairs.... then there's all the little fractional stuff that many of the purists get into. hell i don't have time for that **** cuz i'm busy driving the f_ck out of the car.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Since my odometer fix, I've been putting some miles on. I don't commute but so far have done almost 400 miles. Had a few glitches but things are going well. I have to change the camber on the left rear and after that I'll be putting some more miles on.

The stereo install was a hassle, but it's very nice to have tunes again. I was surprised that the orig speakers sounded as well as they did. I was expecting to replace them, but not yet.

The body trim is off, so it doesn't look very good but once it's painted I'll be about done. So far, it's a bit more hassle for a DD, but enjoyable to drive. I'm glad I rescued it from the grave.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stereo install was a hassle, but it's very nice to have tunes again. I was surprised that the orig speakers sounded as well as they did. I was expecting to replace them, but not yet.
i had the same experience! i actually have some nice speakers i saved from my turbo that i was planning on throwing in the 968 but the original speakers sound great...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Well, I just did a 400 mile RT down to the 928 meet without any issues at all. The car once in a while has a hard time starting when cold, but that may be due to the 24Lb injectors in there. I can live with that. The only thing not working now on the car is the cruise, and I just bought a brain for that.

I'm going to get the paint done, then let my son drive it for a while. I'm getting about 27MPG in regular driving on mid-grade 89. It has good power and the AC is awesome. He needs good AC in Houston. I guess this car has been saved from crushing, but at some significant expense and time.

The driving position is not as good as a 928, but it's ok for me. I wish the steering would tilt but I'm getting more used to it. The odometer repair and the new fuel level sender make it easy to drive a full tank of gas now. Before, I was stopping regularly for gas cause I wasn't sure how my consumption was. The new odo has about a 5% error on the low side, so I think the MPG is a little better than the 27MPG indicated. It does a little tram-lining about 85 but it was a bit windy when I tested it, so I guess that could account for some darting. Also, I don't have the mid belly pan on and I could reduce some of the movement at high speed by putting that pan on now.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the engine, trans, brakes, AC, stereo, lights, and suspension. Feels good to be able to put miles on it without worrying that I'll get stuck somewhere. Still have a few little things to fix, but it's down to minor stuff now.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Well, I just did a 400 mile RT down to the 928 meet without any issues at all.
I had to smile when I read this - it sounds so much like a report one sees from a person who drives an older Ferrari and actually had no problems on his latest trip. With the report usually comes a sigh of relief.

A couple of years ago, I participated in a driving event where one of the Ferraris had the passenger door sealed with duct tape because the latch wasn't working correctly and the door wouldn't stay closed.

I treasure the quality and reliability of our German cars.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I had to smile when I read this - it sounds so much like a report one sees from a person who drives an older Ferrari and actually had no problems on his latest trip. With the report usually comes a sigh of relief.

A couple of years ago, I participated in a driving event where one of the Ferraris had the passenger door sealed with duct tape because the latch wasn't working correctly and the door wouldn't stay closed.

I treasure the quality and reliability of our German cars.
I have an older Ferrari that spends a decent amount of time in the garage being worked on. In my opinion, the Porsches aren't much better in terms of reliability than any other German car. Ferrari engines and trans are as bulletproof as anything else, but the chassis gremlins are the same for any euro car I've ever had. Slow windows, bushings that wear quickly, relays go bad, poor wiring, sagging panels, etc. It could describe either the Ferrari or the 968, or the 928, or the Matra.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Well, I just did a 400 mile RT down to the 928 meet without any issues....

if i had a dollar for every post on the 944, 944T and 928 forums for every time something like that has been said.... to be fair, most of these posts occur at purchase time.... still, they always raise an eyebrow.... i didn't have my 968 more than an hour before i had the pedal slammed to the floor and going like, 135 mph on I-40 West in the great state of North Carolina.
driving the car home was like..... i'd known her all my life.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

well that last post was 21 k miles ago.... up to 186 k miles and drivng everywhere, hundreds of miles in a day, week, etc.

Doc,

pics of the respray or ban.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to hear.

I'm picking up my 968 in a few weeks and driving it home 850+ miles that same day. I'll definitely sigh when it's over, but I won't worry before or during.

-V
Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by odurandina
great daily driver. of course. i daily drive it. transcon daily drive it. use it. abuse it.

most reliable P-car ever. but does require the Rennlist saints to do the preventative wrenching for me.

cuz i won't ever learn me how to mess with the variocam system.

wouldn't you know it.....

famous last words posted right before $13~14k cataclysm/cluster of repairs....
Old 06-13-2015, 11:22 PM
DM
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

Just finished a 300 mile road trip around Minnesota today and enjoyed every minute (except a 5 mile section of 94 that was older concrete. I think you'll enjoy 11 miles in each direction.

Quick Reply: 968 as DD? Yeah/nay and your reasons.