968 Forum 1992-1995

993 shifter in a 968

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 shifter in a 968

Has anyone installed a 993 type shifter-****-boot into a 968 ?

I just bought a new one from a fellow Rennlister on the chance that it will work.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

making it fit shouldn't be a complicated task. 1 example would be where - after removing a small amount of plastic shrouding on the inside of the 997 ****'s shaft (with a pair of needle-nose pliers), it was revealed that the inside of the 997 **** has the same rectangular shape our shift ***** have (win #1). only slightly larger (win #2).... illustration of the plastic to remove; https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...uld-to-it.html

but, remember that due to the vibrations of the torque tube, the 968 shift ***** also have rubber shock absorbers (rectangular-shaped rubber rings) between your shift lever and the inside of your 968 ****).... but, because the 911 shift lever isn't exposed to these vibrations, the coupler is completely rigid.... some of the Rennlisters couldn't understand about why i elected to use elbow grease over a semi-rigid surface (force + dishwashing detergent), to pull my 997 **** over (a roundish mound of duct tape wound tightly over the shift lever). i needed something rigid-enough to grab onto the shift **** (the shift lever), but soft-enough to dampen the vibrations from the torque tube.... but still, never become loose (and it never will). it would serve you well to keep the rubber ring (or something similar to it) in there to absorb the TT's vibrations... otherwise, your **** will be almost certain to resonate (i.e. buzz like a cicada).

Last edited by odurandina; 07-09-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: highlighting key words
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
your **** will be almost certain to resonate (i.e. buzz like a cicada).
Well put. I have a 996 GT3 **** in mine (with a shortened version of the stock stift lever), and despite umpteen attampts to stuff any and every soft and gushy material I could think of between the inside of the **** and the shift lever, mine still sounds like a swarm of deranged bees (actually, it sounds, of all things, like a vacuum leak on steroids). I'm planning to go back to stock.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks OD and Andrew. I do recall reading about your adventures with the 996 style shifters.

Just wanted to clarify my original question...the shifter I am buying is a 993 style not a 996 later style.

Maybe I'll be able to answer my own question with the facts as follows:
- the bottom open end metal part of the shifter that fits over the shift rod (thingamajic coming out of the rubber boot) is the same size both shifters...thats 1 good thing
- both shifters have the same size rubber vibration collar - this is the part that fits on the top end of the shift rod...thats 2 good things
- the inside length of of the metal part of both shifters have the same the same exact length...thats 3 good things

Now this is just an 'assumption' on my part but the I think that the 968 shifter has an addittional rubber vibration collar that fits at the base of the shifter and it looks like that part also will fit the base of the 993 shifter.

I'll look up some part numbers and take some pictures. Hopefully I'll have this figured out when my new blue/aluminum 993 shifter arrives.

Quick Reply: 993 shifter in a 968