Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

"997 shiftknob to 968" cosmetic update -- so easy a caveman could to it...

Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default "997 shiftknob to 968" cosmetic update -- so easy a caveman could to it...

yep ! should i post a HOW TO ??

ok, if you love doing updates, this one is a MUST imho.

my old ratty shiftknob is sitting on the bottom of my trash can... and now i have one of these 997 TT OEM ***** installed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories

if you scour the countryside for smashed up 997s, you'll find the dismantlers have a few of these... they sell them on ebay and people buy them.

if you call the dismantlers, they'll likely sell you one cheaper, than for what they'll ask on ebay.

Porsche has several versions of the 997 ****. they come in many colors..

i wanted something really nice like the standared black on aluminum ****. until i saw the carbon *****... that are offered as options on the 997 TT, GT2 and GT3s... my first choice was to get the ALL BLACK CARBON **** (photo #4)...

NO LUCK getting one from any source unfortunately -- (i'll spare you all the saga about what happened with trying to source one)...

i ended up settling on a regular carbon/aluminum on standard leather.

a few days ago, i finally attempted to see what i might need to do in order to make the odd 997 style **** and it's different shaped fittings to install onto our 968 shift linkage...

here's the fun part: they said it wouldn't fit but, i discovered it fits way easier than the 996 ***** ! WIN !

the 996 ***** won't fit without an adaptor... i didn't especially like the 996 ***** so that ended that...

here's a few 997 *****... and the one i ended up with.

i did a little bit of cutting and sewing to make the 968 boot slide over the new ****...

Attached Images     

Last edited by odurandina; 07-11-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I've gotta say, I thought about this myself (not specifically the 997 ****) and decided that I actually wouldn't trade my stock **** for just about anything...much like the CD-2 radio, it fits with the rest of the interior, which I find to look "just right", that is, simple, functional, "German", in a handsome way that never looks "dated".

I myself wouldn't go for anything carbon fiber in a 968 interior, but if you choose to...I'd agree with you, the all-black **** looks like it would be the best, I'd love to see how that actually would look (and a bit of photoshop would probably do exactly that).

Looks like you did a great job yourself

But...where's the promised HOW-TO?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

okay,

when you remove the stock ****... just start taking things apart in there and you'll all see a clip that when you remove you just pull and the **** comes up ----- ok, with the **** off you'll see the gear lever is a rectangular shaft...

now take the 997 ****... look closely inside, and you'll discover a little secret about it...

the core is shaped exactly the same as the standard 968 shift lever... but there is a small ring of plastic that forms an oval that's covering that all up... the plastic thats covering that up is about 3/32 of an inch thick...

grab a pair of needle nose plyers and gently break off just the part that's hiding the core of the ****...

BREAK JUST THE LITTLE LIPS off with the plyers. leave the rest of the ring intact.

now, you've got the core of the 997 **** fully visable. it's identical in shape to the existing shift lever and has a cavity about perhaps 1/16th of an inch larger in all directions...

so how do you attach it without a clip to clamp it down ? epoxy ?

do you want epoxy oozing out of there once you've got the **** into place ?

my solution was to make an ascending then descending wind of duct tape around the gear shift lever--

so that it has a little bulge in the middle. just a few turns of duct tape and you'll be there.

now you're going to push the **** onto that wind once you get it just right.... and elbow grease.

don't do a permanent install yet...

you're still going to have to get the 968 shift boot around on there before you finally push the new **** down.

take your old boot and cut it with a razor off the old ****....

now sew a hem into the part that you just cut and use it with the 997 ****.

back to the shift lever...

wet it with spit and push that **** down over it.

you should have to bear down REALLY HARD to get it to push all the way on... and require even more force to pull it off.

there won't be any wobbles whatsoever.

it will feel like it's part of the car, just like your old ****, and will never come loose.

for you 200 + lb guys not too much duct tape, you'll break the **** when you put all your weight down.

if you make the shape of the bulge right and use the correct winding of duct tape -- the result will be solid.

in the second photo you will see the part that you want to expose with your needle nose...

then the **** will slide right over your shift lever.

Attached Images     

Last edited by odurandina; 09-29-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the OEM ****. it feels right imho. I just tarted mine up. Custom Suede Shift boot & brushed aluminum cap.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I've got a silver & black leather 997 **** at AGLA right now - Alan's making a custom contrasting stitch 968 boot for it. Can't wait to ditch the old torn and worn OEM **** and get it in there!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Sorry, forgot to mention that I got my 997 **** and boot (997 boot doesn't get used of course) for 200 bucks from L.A. Auto Dismantlers. Here's their current shifter inventory:

http://www.ladismantler.com/index.ph...&cl=23&cat=293

Talk to Caleb. He's a good guy.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

definitely a good guy. i don't know why they take so much crap on the 993/996/997 forums -- you only hear about the bad experiences, when the parts are not new, but always expecting every fender, bumper and steering wheel to be perfect...

anyway, the ***** they have are this same style but in solid colors. (updated pics are on post #3).

/
Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the 997 **** taller than stock?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

i knew people would ask that... i did a comparison at the time install and it's just about 5/8" taller.

distortion from the camera lenz gives the impression that it's more. lol.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 09-29-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Last edited by odurandina; 01-31-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

still loving this mod!! Geeze 8 years!!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
still loving this mod!! Geeze 8 years!!
When I first read this thread, a week ago, I thought to myselt..."why did odurandina take out the carbon fiber console he made and re-install the original console?" Until I read the last post. We need a picture

Old 06-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

Very nice upgrade!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "997 shiftknob to 968" cosmetic update -- so easy a caveman could to it...