968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch shudder/chatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 AM
dkdm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch shudder/chatter

Just finished belts, idler/drive pulleys, water pump, cam chain/pads, front oil seals, new water hoses, and etc....

I did a clutch job about two years ago (10K plus miles) to include disk, pressure plate, needle bearings/shaft, guide sleeve, rear main seal, and release bearing.
I did the turn thingy on the DMF flywheel and it was good, I did not have it surfaced and I don't think it needed it (I cleaned it with some light abrasive).

Anyway for the last eight or so months I've had a high pitched screech when I push in the clutch pedal. Decided I wanted to fix that before driving to Salt Lake. Pulled the starter, slave, clutch cover, needle shaft and after looking inside....
I could see some wear on the top of the guide sleeve (not a lot but enough metal to metal to screech).

I couldn't really apply a small amount of copper anti seize so I ended up with an excessive amount, wiped what I could off of any rotating parts and put stuff together. Wow, the peddle felt great, no noise or issues until 10 miles or so.
Pulled into the subdivision and down sifted into 2nd big time shudder, pushed the clutch in. Took it for a test drive every down shift into 2nd unless I really brought RPM's up. And I'm not talking about a little vibration! I think if I didn't catch it every time after it started I think the headlights would jump up and down!.

Today, I pulled the same stuff off and cleaned as much as I could get to and then used brake clean, even had someone hold clutch in while I sprayed. Did it fix it? No, now it does it on up shifts as well (only in second). I can control it with speed or throttle.

Also, I've always had a bearing rattle in this car, I figured it was one of the timing belt pulleys but after it was still there I thought maybe it was the alternator, PS, or AC comp. Since today I started the car on the lift with the clutch cover off I watched the release bearing rattle a little on the fork. That is my noise and it's amplified without the cover, so are they suppose to do that?

Okay here's my question:
Tomorrow I plan on pulling the clutch disk and cleaning it up. Could this be from a small amount of anti seize compound? Once it is glazed is it junk? Will this dude ever stop typing? Could my DMF have gone bad and timing was a coincidence? Did I forget to turn off the oven? Is my car saying it does not want to go to Utah?

Gurus?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
dkdm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed!

Pulled disk and pressure plate. Had glazed film on the pressure plate and flywheel.

Hit disk with brake clean three different times, scrubbed pp and fw with scotch bright and brake clean. Put it back together and shift like it did before and no more screech.

Now on to several other minor issues before driving to Utah.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Congratulations Dave.

I'm glad it was a cheap fix other than your time.

Doug

Quick Reply: Clutch shudder/chatter