968 Forum 1992-1995

Need some 968 Air bag knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some 968 Air bag knowledge

Hope you guys can provide guidance on this question ? Currently restoring a 1994 968 covertible which was hit in the front, bumper cover, radiator, condenser and hood smashed! Windshield cracked from Both airbags activated! I will replace both air bags (blue), looking for them in the classifieds but .....
What do I need to replace air bag sensors or control modules or both?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

let me know if you need a hood. i've got one in white.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Where are you located, what is the hood condition? Do you also have a good bumper cover?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

i am located near Foxboro, Massachusetts. no bumper cover. the hood has a couple of chips. otherwise, it's fine. i am converting my car to another color and i got a hood in an almost identical color for free... so there was no need to paint the underside of it (money saved). so now, i don't need the original hood any longer.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Can that be shipped or is it too large ? that is about a 10 hour drive... What are you asking for the hood ?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a good question - I thought I heard you have to replace the control unit, in addition to, obviously, the module (the assembly that contains the actual air bag). But don't quote me on that.

I'm converting my car to a (mostly) track car, so I have a few parts you might be able to use, including the passenger side air bag module. Unfortunately, I've already sold my control unit.

You didn't mention damage to your headlights, but in case need a pair, I have two complete headlight assemblies I'd sell. The headlights have nice, thick stone guards on the lenses in perfect condition. And you should confirm whether there's any damage to the power steering cooling loop - if there is, I'd be glad to sell you mine. Same goes for the oil cooler (converting to a dual cooler set-up). IM me if any of these parts are of interest to you, and best of luck with the restoration.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Thank you for the info , the airbag control unit is located on the Passenger side behind the glove box right ? Can this unit be reset?
Does anyone have one forsale ??
Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PM EspritS4s on here. He has been parting a 968 and may still have some of the airbag stuff and might be able to help out.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

he might indeed.... but, think it's safe to say he's very close to being cleaned out. LOL.

don't think anything other than the tub and damaged body pieces went to the recycler.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

You should be able to find the air bags at a parts reseller or junk yard. I found several at the one here in Phoenix. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Thanks, I will put before pictures up shortly !!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Purchased a airbag control module and drivers navy airbag today, looking for a passenger Navy airbag ??
Does any one have one that they may want to part with ???
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Does anyone know if I can purchase the passenger side air bag "cover" in Navy ?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have an airbag in navy, but I would think that you could get one in black which is more common and use a vinyl paint to match it pretty close.

I don't know if you have looked into the airbag system replacement but you will definitely need to replace the two crash sensors. They are mounted near the top of the A pillar. The one on the left is behind the little controller module up there(cruise?). You can identify the crash sensor by the anti-tamper screws which hold it to the chassis. They are a one time use screw and will need to be drilled or ground out. I would just use a normal screw to install the new ones.

Before putting the new sensor in, it pays to test them for continuity. Pins 1 to 2 should be 10K ohms, pins 2 to 3 should be shorted. If you find these out of tolerance, don't bother to install it. Don't drop or toss the crash sensor as it has a cats hair type inertia sensor and it is pretty sensitive.

Of course, disconnect the battery when working on the airbag system.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

I am glad you said that, I thought the main control module is what sent the signal to activate the air bags. It sounds like the dash sensors are the ones that need replacement ? Did I get that right ?

Quick Reply: Need some 968 Air bag knowledge