968 Forum 1992-1995

Need some 968 Air bag knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, the controller monitors the two crash sensors and if they both show a break when the G forces meet the trip limit, then the controller will set off the ignition pills to fire the airbag units. It's critical that you mount the new airbag sensors in the exact same orientation on the car.

Once you get the new sensors and airbags in, you can test the system with the Bosch Hammer(tester 9688). If there is a fault 70 displayed you'll need a new controller module. If you don't have the Bosch tool, ask around to some of the indy shops that work on German cars and you'll usually find one. They can reset the faults and run the system diags.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 AM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a 1988 951S Air Bag steering wheel with bags, dash bag, harnes and brain. Open to Trades for Race . Need quick release hub & D ring suede steering wheel
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Montgomryburns
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more airbags info, car no start

As you have read above, I am restoring a 1994 968 cab. It was involved in a a front end accident and covered and put in a garage in 1996. It has 30,000 miles on it. It currently does not run.....

I am currently working on the airbag system. Both airbags where blown. I purchased a control module and used airbags. Does any one have advice on how to replace these two airbags, module, clock spring, does everything need to be replaced?

Also can blown airbags , srs module cause a NO start condition ? Will it shut down the fuel system?

We have checked the following:

New speed sensor
Power to the injectors
Nice spark
Fresh gas
Jumpered DME relay to pump out 15 gallons old gas through the fuel rail, nice flow
New DME relay

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Airbag system: There are a total of three sensors, one in each A pillar and the one inside the airbag controller. The airbag needs a quorum of 2 out of 3 sensors active to set off the ignition sequence. Replace the two sensors first, then test and reset the airbag faults with the Bosch 9688 tester(hammer). If the airbag controller shows a fault, it will need to be replaced as well.

The airbag gets it's primary power via the CE panel, and it's activation indication through the same source as the DME relay. The airbag cannot inhibit or 'turn off' the car. If the DME relay is working you should have voltage to the airbag system. Check power at the airbag connector for ground on pin 10, and 12V on pins 11, and 12 with the ignition in the 'on' position. If you are missing 12V at pin 11, the DME is not getting power either(same source).

Since you bought the whole system, my recommendation is to swap the controller as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track, if you get stuck I have 2 parts cars with all the airbag systems in them. Shoot me a line if you need any help. No front bumper cover but have every thing else.

Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: Need some 968 Air bag knowledge