968 Forum 1992-1995

Stuck clutch needle/930 pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck clutch needle/930 pressure plate

I am replacing my clutch, but cannot remove the needle. I have removed the M6 bolt that locks the needle in place. My clutch needle does not pull out. I followed the Clarks Garage tip and inserted a 120 mm M8 bolt into the needle, put a vice grips on the bolt head, and tried to drive it out by hitting the bolt head/vice grips with a dead blow hammer. No luck. I have the pressure plate bolts removed, but it appears that I cannot remove the pressure plate without removing the clutch fork. The torque tube clamping sleeve and splined shaft are disconnected from the clutch. The two M6 guide tube bolts are removed. Any ideas? Any way to use a puller on the clutch needle? Can I remove the pressure plate without removing the needle?

Also, the previous owner had a 930 pressure plate installed. I have heard that this can cause issues with firewall flex due to the higher clamping force. Has anyone had any issues with a 930 pressure plate?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried putting any lubricant or penetrating oil into the clutch fork bearings? Sounds like the needle is seized in the bearings.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I will tell you exactly why your needle is stuck. Your needle bearings have scored deep grooves into the needle and the needle is now stuck. Nothing a nice pull can't handle. I would try to place something between the needle and the bolt and then use some form of a wire and then tighten a nice piece of wood on the other end. Pull hard on the wood. This should do the trick.
You should make sure you get new needles and needle bearings. Not exensive at all. It will also make your pedal much more predictable.
Lastly, make sure you use a copper based paste to lube all moving components of the clutch system.

Quick Reply: Stuck clutch needle/930 pressure plate