968 Forum 1992-1995

And to think....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
Default And to think....

Last year at this time I was cruising the beaches of Florida.

(I purchased the car out of Florida)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'd think of the glass more as being half full. after all, didn't you get like 10 feet of snow last winter ?
must be a lot easier on the clutch and tranny this go-round....

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

btw,

you all might recall we were getting so much snow last december and january..... i drove the 968 to Florida shortly after the secondary roads cleared after yet another significant snowfall (on about the 7th). anyway, i made it safely thought Connecticut where they had just finished digging out from about a foot of snow in the Hartford area... made it down past the DC area and pulled into a rest area for a couple hours of zzzz's..... then i continued driving toward the Virginia/North Carolina line were the next weather situation along the I-95 corridor was unfolding.... as i drove into NC, it started sleeting. so i slowed down to about 40 mph and flicked the hazzard lights on while the cars kept whizzing by.... i put my hand out the window and as soon as the ice started to stick on the mirror i backed it down to about 30 mph and got half the car into the breakdown land and it wasn't but a few minutes before i began to witness the line of death.... cars that had flown by just minutes before where now crashed.... i continued driving slowing down even more as i went along.... now seeing dozens of cars crashed; some over embankments, stuck in the snow that had fallen a few days before, others upside down and even rolled over in the woods.... i stopped to check on a few of the motorists, but no one was hurt.... so i kept going... it's not easy to imagine but in all, i would estimate maybe 3 or 4 hundred crashed cars over the space of the next few hours on my naked private interstate. along the skating rink, i witnessed over a couple dozen ambulances, endless state troopers, and sheriff's cars, and even 2 helicopters before it was done.... i just kept going through the carnage; driving 15, 20 mph behind the salt trucks all through the night where i could and even slower where i couldn't.... for hours and hours. i even spun the car twice along this endless river of ice at about 20~25 mph...... but about 9 hours and two gallons of wiper fluid later i finally arrived into South Carolina with the 968 entombed under about 3/4" of ice... by this time, i was able to pick up the pace slightly on a little bit better, salted up roads.... but it was still very treacherous.... all through the Carolinas i had hoped the temperature would warm up, but it never did. it stayed exactly at (29F) all through the night. but finally, i reached Florence in the latter part of the morning and i pulled into a truck stop and took a nap. about 3 hours later i awoke to a glorious 31 degrees and continued my journey on slightly better roads. there were still very few cars out, but the salt trucks had begun to win the battle.... not long after, i was able to go a little faster and just north of the SC/Georgia state line, the roads finally improved for normal driving with plenty of ice still showing but gradually dissapating along the line of Georgia pines. i arrived in florida about an hour later — but i won't soon forget my trip down my empty, private interstate.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, that is a stunning picture of the 968!! Now all you need is a snow shovel on the front
Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

You're more than welcome to come back!

Drop me a line if you do.

Quick Reply: And to think....