Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

identify these wheels please Need leak fixed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

another thing to look for is that the little rubber nipples on new tires can sometimes be stuck at the bead between the rim and rubber... just take a bottle of soapy water and spray along the bead on both sides of the wheel and look for bubbles. the faster the bubbles form, the worse the leak. don't forget to spray around the stem and where the rim halves meet. (if its a 3 piece...). Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

oh and forgot to mention, the lower psi is better for noticing leaks. you might think that the greater pressure, the more likely you find the leak but it actually seals the rubber better around the wheel... that is until it pops!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by daily driver
Yes they are 18 in. wheels and I took the wheel off and used soapy water and can see the bubbles coming out from the edge of the rim of
the wheel. I'm not particularly inclined to try to dismantle and fix this myself. Who can fix it?
resealing a 3 piece wheel is not rocket surgery...
if you can have the local tire store remove the tire and then remove the bolts and split the halves, you will only need a good silicone designed for aluminum and a torque wrench to put them back together. Check out these videos. http://www.ccwheel.com/technical.php
Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM
daily driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Cool videos Gene. thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daily driver
I live in Parkersburg WVa (on the ohio river). I found a place in Dayton Ohio that may fix the wheel if I ship it to 'em, there are a couple places in PA too. No one locally , even called the closest Porsche dealer and they were no help. ( they were never any help-that's why I don't have my 911 anymore)
FWIW, if you are looking at the Wheel Warehouse, I had my Cup I's refinished there. The clear peeled in months. I took it back to them during the warranty period and they wanted to charge me to unmount/remount the tires when they were fixing their mistake. Note, I paid them to mount them originally to avoid a "he said she said" if there was any problems with paint getting damaged. Since that time, the adhesion of the rest of the paint has been extemely poor. I regret not powder coating them.

Good luck on getting things squared away.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM
daily driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noted - Thanks

Quick Reply: identify these wheels please Need leak fixed