Odometer gear failure/stepper motor? Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Odometer gear failure/stepper motor? Video

I understand that the stepper motors can fail on the odometer and noticed that the numbers on my car seem to be moving jerkely. Took this short video and was wondering if anyone else had noticed this issue as well? Maybe I just need to take the cluster apart and oil everything up?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it needs a good cleaning/greasing, maybe the stepper motor is on it's way out, or maybe a couple of teeth are missing off the gear causing it to have unsteady movement?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Most likely the gear plastic getting brittle and missing gears as noted. Usually when it fails it all goes. I've got a speedo with close miles if you need one...

Plus more stuff, go to see the car coming together..

Cheers, Mike
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the cluster out last night as I was replacing the steering wheel. Totally different design behind the speedometer than the 944. I should have looked closer but I didn't see anything off hand amiss. I removed the stepper motor and looked at the gear on it.

I need to see if the car is actually measuring a mile correctly.

Thanks Mike - still needing some used stuff like the driver's foglamp and might be interested in the cluster as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh,
That's exactly what my old odometer did for a few months before it stopped all together. I pulled it apart, checked the gear which looked fine, replaced it anyways, and it never worked again. I read up on the stepper motor problem, but figured I'd just have to buy a new gauge cluster at some point.

Last edited by AllenM; 11-14-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
I had the cluster out last night as I was replacing the steering wheel. Totally different design behind the speedometer than the 944. I should have looked closer but I didn't see anything off hand amiss. I removed the stepper motor and looked at the gear on it.

I need to see if the car is actually measuring a mile correctly.

Thanks Mike - still needing some used stuff like the driver's foglamp and might be interested in the cluster as well.
Josh,

A thought, if you would like to borrow one to troubleshoot I have one you can use.

Cheers,mike
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well - odometer failed yesterday evening at about 148,890 so I got another 1000 miles out of it before it bit the dust Guess I need to ship it off to North Hollywood now.

Quick Reply: Odometer gear failure/stepper motor? Video