968 Forum 1992-1995

Engine swap project

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap project

I have a 968 engine on the way courtesy of a fellow rennlister who bought it to install in his 951 but decided against the swap. Since I need to deal with an oil cooler re-seal, rear main seal leak, and rod bearings anyway on my engine with 125k miles, I couldn't resist the deal to get a 60k motor in such great condiiton. Getting a super clean engine in such great condition with all new seals, complete with the wiring harness, oil cooler, bell housing, and starter was too good to pass up.

This is more project than I have taken on before, and might be a bit of an adventure, but I am excited about doing the swap. More pics during the work.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Congrats and good luck! Im assuming thats an S2? Im still daydreaming about a 2.5 turbo in the 968...
Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a 968 engine, has the variocam fitting. Just missing vanity cover, thats all.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
It's a 968 engine, has the variocam fitting. Just missing vanity cover, thats all.
Raj,
meant the car in the OP's avatar that i assumed the 968 motor was being transplanted to!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

obviously this is one of those 2 sweet motors recently available in massachusetts.

good luck with your little dragon.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

after studying the avatar more closely i realize thats a 968 and the OP is swapping the same type engine, just refreshed. Im an idiot to take this long to figure that out. Signing out
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
rlips
Instructor

Default sweet motor from Massachusetts

Originally Posted by odurandina
obviously this is one of those 2 sweet motors recently available in massachusetts.

good luck with your little dragon.

I got the other one, which has already been torn down and is getting rebuilt from the block up as a race motor by Michael Mount.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Nothing wrong with having a spare 968 engine or two, or three
Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rlips
I got the other one, which has already been torn down and is getting rebuilt from the block up as a race motor by Michael Mount.

indeed. Gary told me about his good fortune selling the motor for a racing project.

you're in New Jersey right ?

i got the transmission from that car. i've had a .730 5th and .600 6th gear installed.

good luck w/ the project.

od.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by odurandina
indeed. Gary told me about his good fortune selling the motor for a racing project.

you're in New Jersey right ?

i got the transmission from that car. i've had a .730 5th and .600 6th gear installed.

good luck w/ the project.

od.
Yep, I'm in Joisey. The motor looked great on teardown, Michael commented that it seemed that the motor had not been apart (expect for the vairio cam) since it was assembled at the factory. He felt it was going to make a great canvas for the new motor.

I should have it back in about 6 weeks or so, I am very excited.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Looks like you went to the right guy and also cut middlemen. Good idea. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Looks like you went to the right guy and also cut middlemen.
Not that i should talk, but that seemed a little uncalled for

To the race engine project, create a build thread!!!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
Not that i should talk, but that seemed a little uncalled for
Huh? Why is that uncalled for? Anytime you can help another member save, why not? Resellers make plenty for just playing middleman. In this case the guy knows the source, which I complimented him on.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

i guess its not uncalled for to those that haven't seen the drama that has been played out here from time to time... and honestly ive only seen you help others and add to the forum's content and ive only benefited from these middlemen from time to time so its not for me to even comment, but i think you know what i mean

shouldn't have even commented, please don't take offense!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
i guess its not uncalled for to those that haven't seen the drama that has been played out here from time to time... and honestly ive only seen you help others and add to the forum's content and ive only benefited from these middlemen from time to time so its not for me to even comment, but i think you know what i mean

shouldn't have even commented, please don't take offense!

Actually, even though I do know the source, I am still going through my local shop and will pay him a markup. Will at Precision motorsports will install the engine for me, is co-ordinating the project, and will maintain the car after it is done.

I need his shop to be financially stable and healthy, and have no problem paying him for his services. True, I could probably save some money (in the short term) by going directly to the source, but that is less important to me than having the support and knowledge that my shop brings to this project.

So, I know the source, get to be involved in the decision making process, and still have support and a deep knowledge base to draw on. Worth it to me.

Cheers,

Ron

Quick Reply: Engine swap project