968 Forum 1992-1995

Fuel pump or fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump or fuel filter?

I have been helping a friend with his 1995 968 coupe that has had some electrical issues with the instrument cluster. After cleaning the contacts on the cluster and all of the grounds everything is working well.

My friend travels quite a bit for his business and is gone until December. His son was driving the car this weekend to get gas (since the light was now on) and being about 10 miles from the nearest station the car ran out of fuel. He got some gas brought to him but the car will not start.

I'm about 2 hours from them and will be going down later in the week to help. Apparently the car is cranking but won't start. Could running out of gas kill the DME relay, the fuel pump or clog the fuel filter with debris from the tank? Any suggestions so I can be better prepared will help, thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, sorry for your friend's troubles! I'd put my money on the filter being clogged after running the 20 yo tank dry! Unless it's something completely unrelated... Good luck!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 AM
J1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on filter
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

Richard,
Did you check the simple stuff, fuse? can you hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the accesories? It could also be a coincedence. Something else might have gone and killed the engine, added more gas but maybe not the real problem.

Maybe a stretch. Where in Va. I am in forest... may be able to help.

Cheers, Mike
Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be down there on Saturday and will check things out.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard C
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be down there on Saturday and will check things out.
Need a hand- at the moment I will be home in va...
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Originally Posted by notthd
Need a hand- at the moment I will be home in va...
Thanks for the offer.

The car did turn over but was very sluggish and rough. I put in a new fuel filter and the car ran fine after that. I also cleaned out the cone fuel strainer which had some gunk on it.

There was a crimped vent tube so I replaced it. I don't know if he had any fuel odors in the car but maybe this will help if he did.

He also has a beautiful 356 Coupe and is in the middle of rebuilding the engine. It looks to be a pretty straightforward engine to work on.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump or fuel filter?