968 Forum 1992-1995

Savannah wrap-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Savannah wrap-up

Well, I have been back a week now and the dust has settled from all the fun at the 2011 Parade in Savannah. My family and I had an amazing experience and a trouble free drive. We couldn’t have asked for more than that. Our adventure started on Saturday morning. I had Minty all cleaned up with the bra installed (thanks again Cliff) as we set out on our trip. The Audi chase car was filled with everything else including my wife Sheryl, son Greg, and youngest daughter Julia. The drive down was uneventful. We made great time at the front of the trip but then lost it all in the Virginia traffic but cruised through the Carolinas and got to Savannah at midnight, a total of 17 hours, including stops.

We checked into the Marriott Riverfront where we had an awesome view of the river. Then off to register and check out everything at the convention center. Things were hopping and the event was well organized. There was much to see including many, many cars. The large cafeteria had been turned into a concours prep area with probably 75 cars and owners busy cleaning their machines. After some time checking things out we went back to the hotel to give minty a car wash, relax, and prepare for the welcome banquet. When we returned for the buffet dinner at the convention center, I met 968ers Joel, Cliff, and Gene in person. We had a delicious German inspired dinner and then headed back to the Hotel.

Monday was concours day so Minty and I had to be at Forsyth Park at 7am. Surprisingly , I was the only Mint green Porsche in attendance out of about a thousand cars. Between the concours and the car corral I counted about 25 968s. I got to see Jennifer’s Tahoe Blue coupe, which was very cool, but Joel’s buddy’s 968 Speed Yellow CS direct from Germany was awesome to see. I spent the day socializing with all the Porsche owners and 968ers. My turn to be concours judged came and the process was very interesting to watch and be part of. Lucky for all of us, the day was overcast so it was a good 15 degrees cooler. All in all, it was a fun day and we headed back to the hotel by 3 to get ready for 968 night at the Parade.

At 5pm the 968 group convened at Tubby’s Restaurant in Thunderbolt. We had a great parking area out front where a great collection of 968s gathered. We socialized for a few hours and then enjoyed a great meal of an authentic southern “low country boil”. To conclude the evening I did my “first ever” 968 coupe production presentation which included an interactive “quiz”. Cliff won the 968 coupe production tech quiz with 12 out of 20 correct answers (nice job Cliff!). Everyone had a great time. 10am on Tuesday had us meeting up at a park for Joel’s 968 drive. This was a blast with about twelve 968s and one guest 928 in our caravan. There is nothing like having someone who knows the area show you things that the typical tourist would miss. Joel’s main theme was an old race track, long since covered over by progress but Joel pointed out the sections that were left. In addition he showed us some beautiful, behind the scenes areas of Savannah. This included the over 300 year old majestic oak, a couple of parks, and we finished up at the exclusive Henry Ford Plantation. The funniest thing was when one of our 968 drivers lost a heater control valve at one of our stops. Luckily, Gene pulled a replacement valve out from his car and provided it to the owner to do a repair and get back on the road. Gene, you must have been a boy scout! Joel arranged entry for us into the Henry Ford plantation for a delicious lunch and our own private tour of the grounds and Henry Ford’s home which was amazing to see. The drive went very well and we all saw so much more of Savannah. We said goodbye to our 968 friends and headed back to the hotel.

Tuesday night was the concours banquet where I was surprised to find I had taken first in my class. With Wednesday we took some time to tour downtown Savannah on our own and then headed to Tennessee for a couple days to visit with my wife’s Aunt and cousins. We then headed out for home on Friday, Greg and I battled for best gas mileage with the direct injected Audi 2.0T returning 31mpg and defeating minty getting 27mpg. We did purchase gas in Virginia for $3.38 a gallon, the best price we saw (we pay on average $4.00 a gallon in CT), and we had no problems with the Law enforcement officials. Minty performed great including my A/C which had to battle those high 90’s/ low 100’s temperatures.

We had such a great time and saw so much. The parade committee did an excellent job and everything was well planned. For our 968 events, we could not have done it without the help of Savannah resident and fellow 968er Joel Carter. Joel helped with picking out all the locations and putting the fantastic drive together. I’m sure I speak for everyone with our great thanks to Joel for all his efforts. The 2012 Parade is in Salt Lake Utah so we won’t be making that drive but I’m sure we’ll hit some other events.

Here are some photos from Savannah for you:

Ready to head out, Minty all “eighties-upped” in the bra but I’m ready for the bugs.

Look what we found in the parking garage in the Marriott! Double mint!

968s outside at the 968 night at the Parade

Including Joel’s ride, the Speed yellow 968 CS direct from Germany

One of many tables of 968 fans enjoying the Tubby’s cuisine and camaraderie

968s prepare for the 968 drive

Gene’s 968 cab looking down a driveway to a plantation surrounded by stunning Oaks with Spanish moss, as far as the eye could see.

Tourmister Joel tells us what we are looking at and where we are heading

A mint 968 cab in front of Henry Ford’s home. It looks nice there, don’t you think?

Here's a video link for the concours event from Cliff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWobP...=youtu.be&hd=1
Old 08-14-2011, 07:17 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,
I looks like this was easily the event of the year. I really wish that Minta and I could have made it out there with the Pink Panther but our schedule didn't allow it. Glad you were there to capture everything for posterity!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your family, glad that you were able to make it to Savannah. The presentation of the 968 coupe registry was beyond my expectations. Thank you taking over the 968 registry and continuing to expand the knowledge base.

I just picked up a copy of the new Panorama, great shots of the "minty" and your family!!!!

The Porsche Parade was a great event and it was a pleasure to meet all of the rest of you 968'ers. Thank all of you for coming to our city and I hope you enjoyed the Parade and the 968 events that Jeff and I were able to put togehter for all of you. It was blast to see all of the 968 in one location, can't wait to do it again.

Based on the number of cars left on the road we should plan a 968 only event sometime in the future.

Regards,
Joel
Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel8005
Jeff,

Based on the number of cars left on the road we should plan a 968 only event sometime in the future.
Absolutely, the 968 register invites any of the members to set up 968 events and we advertise through the e-Newsletters. Next up is the escape event.

Joel,
Sheryl and i are already discussing a return trip to Savannah. We still have so much more to see. I'll be in touch.
Jeff

Quick Reply: Savannah wrap-up