968 Forum 1992-1995

Check Engine Light on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine Light on?

I recently took a 5 hour road trip and when I got to the destination I made a few stops at local stores and then filled the gas tank. When I restarted, I noticed the CEL on. It could have been on before but this was the first I noticed it. The car has done this in the past, when the gas cap was not on right. So, I checked and re-checked the cap and its still on.

Can this be reset? Or, could it be the O2 sensor or something else.

Note: I had also been running a cooler spark plug. I've already switched back to see if that was the issue and the CEL is still on.

I tried turning the ignition key part way on and keeping foot on gas pedal 10 seconds to reset and nothing happened.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Do a search for the blink test. It will tell you what tripped CEL. You want to make sure you know what caused it 1st. Are you running an aftermarket chip? Bad gas possibly?
See if you know someone with Durametric tool who can reset it for you.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I was running a chip (Promax) but switched it back to stock several months ago. That is the reason I had cooler plugs in. I changed those after the CEL issue just the other day.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

in my opinion there are a few lights on the instrument panel that serve little more purpose than to help the dealers receive more visits from car owners who purchased the less-expensive models.... but, now it's getting on towards being a 20 year old car. the last thing i want is these little "thingees" telling me this or that when everything's working fine. including using 30 dollar pbr pads in the back... so maybe consider removing the following bulbs:

1. brake pad sensor light.
2. check engine light.
3. wiper washer fluid light.

good candidates for removal.

4. exclamation light (unless it's a wifey car).
5. airbag light.

remove the steering wheel before removing the instrument panel...

while you're down there, you might install new brighter bulbs, (lol).

enjoy the next 25 years, cuz that's about how long the engine management system will likely keep 'er running smooth.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I reset the CEL light and it stayed off so far. So, maybe it was the fuel filler cap afterall. I'll drive it and see.....
Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd951968
I reset the CEL light and it stayed off so far. So, maybe it was the fuel filler cap afterall. I'll drive it and see.....

You may be on to something with the fuel cap. It is true that you will trip the CEL if you do not screw on the fuel cap. Also, if the seal at the base of the fuel cap has deteriorated, you may get a CEL even if the cap is tightened. So, you may be in for a cap replacement given that the old cap is probably over 15 years old.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light on?