968 Forum 1992-1995

anyone know this 92?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Default anyone know this 92?

I've been w/out a pcar for more than 6mo, and don't think I can take much more... I'm looking for something to play with on the weekends- local curvy roads and AX. No track.

Is anyone familiar with this car? Or maybe someone has checked it out?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2396040784.html
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/30offset/968/

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Yes it belong to__ Jonvo__ don't miss it it's a great deal for the price.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a good bay area 968 group. If you buy one, we'd love to see you at the gtg's. Also, many of us are experienced addicts so if you'd like help looking at one for sale, don't be shy.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

So it needs new tensioner pads and a starter. Any idea on the cost of having the pads replaced at a shop? I have some wrenching experience, but that is not something I would want to have to tackle as my first interaction with the car.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't know what a shop would charge, but probably like $1500. I can do it for you for way less I've done it many times.

If you choose to tackle it yourself, there is a great DIY write-up here on rennlist. Just search this forum for "diy variocam" and you'll find it.

968 starters are a little hard to find, but most 968s are low-ish miles so a used one might be worth it if you find one. Otherwise, you can just have your own rebuilt. It's been a while but last time I asked, rebuilding was about $75.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I don't know what a shop would charge, but probably like $1500. I can do it for you for way less I've done it many times.

If you choose to tackle it yourself, there is a great DIY write-up here on rennlist. Just search this forum for "diy variocam" and you'll find it.

968 starters are a little hard to find, but most 968s are low-ish miles so a used one might be worth it if you find one. Otherwise, you can just have your own rebuilt. It's been a while but last time I asked, rebuilding was about $75.
Where did you get your starters rebuilt at?
I have two and I'd love to get them both rebuilt and sell the spare.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
So it needs new tensioner pads and a starter. Any idea on the cost of having the pads replaced at a shop? I have some wrenching experience, but that is not something I would want to have to tackle as my first interaction with the car.

Thanks.
Are you sure the car needs new pads? The pads can take a beating. However new pads are really cheap right now at Paragon. They are $22 each.http://www.paragon-products.com/Cams...5.201.rail.htm

And +1 on helping you do a pad change with Arash
Between the three of us you can get it done in a day.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
Are you sure the car needs new pads? The pads can take a beating. However new pads are really cheap right now at Paragon. They are $22 each.

And +1 on helping you do a pad change with Arash
Between the three of us you can get it done in a day.
If Jonvo say the pads has to be done ,it has to he is being honest with the sale.Take a look at the color off those pads they are due,both upper & lower pads will have to be done which usually run 130.00$ for a set at most supplier,& I will take Arash offer in a blink ,beside the pads you will also need other small parts in order to do the Job.Do the Job once and do it rigth, then you'll have peace of mind for another 80-90k miles. GL
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You can purchase a porsche rebuilt one for a little over $100 from Sunset. Comes with a warranty. Best bang for the buck.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, that's way cheaper than worldpac. Definitely worth it at that price. And I assume the old one has to be sent back as a core. Thanks for the tip Raj!

Rich, the place I used to use is Right-Way on 6th street in San Francisco. They're a pro outfit, and they charge accordingly. If you search google or the yellow pages I'm sure you can find an alternator/starter rebuilding shop locally.

VitaminC, so did you buy the car?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
VitaminC, so did you buy the car?
Plan to look at it this weekend.

I've also seen a white 94 on CL that looks pretty nice, though the asking price is 3k higher. It has 98k miles and recent full service from Carlsen. The ad is down now, though, not sure if it expired or sold.

I'd like to find at least a couple to drive before making a decision.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default trying to save the seller some money by not clicking "buy it now" will cost you....

the LS1 968 on ebay sold. my friend Ali (i had been in contact with Brian, the seller) was within' a couple of hours of getting a deal done for the car after the sale ended. but at the last minute someone came in and got the deal of the century. that was a one of the best, finely sorted swaps we've ever seen. he also recently had the seats recovered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Quick Reply: anyone know this 92?