968 Forum 1992-1995

Vacuum Valve/Solenoid for A/C Fresh Air Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Valve/Solenoid for A/C Fresh Air Flaps

My fresh air flaps on my a/c air box are not operational. I have no other issues with the A/C system operation. I assumed that the flap actuators went bad and had leaking diaphrams, but when I checked them with my vacuum gauge and they do not leak. I checked the vacuum lines to the actuators with the engine at idle (cold) and do not have a vacuum. The vacuum lines are intact.

I was not able to find a description of the vacuum assist system in my 968 shop manual. Also, I was not able to find the system in the online parts catalog.

Is there a vacuum valve or solenoid valve that controls the vacuum to the fresh air flapo actuators? If so, where is the valve located.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I believe you will find how the HVAC system works at the link below. It is for a 944, but the 968 didn't change much if any at all. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
wpb968
Instructor

Default Thanks!

Larry,

Thanks for the link to the a/c manual on Clarks Garage. Just what I needed.

Best,

Steve
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Default Problem Solved

Larry, thanks again for your help. I pulled the glovebox out and tested the fresh air solenoid valve. Proper voltage and vacuum. But, no vacuum up on top of the airbox. I pulled the airbox out and found that the vacuum line was pinched under the airbox. Must have happened way back when the refrigerant was converted to 134a. Pretty sloppy work. I changed the vacuum lines and everything works. The fresh air damper operation was a pet peeve of mine for some time. Now, on to the door handle gaskets, windshield replacement, brake caliper rebuilds, and clutch job. Maybe camber plates and spherical bearings for the front a-arms too. Then, it's track ready for a few DE events at Sebring and Homestead.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

On the door handle gaskets, I did it the long way twice before I found out you don't have to remove the handle from the car to install the gaskets, you just need to unmount it from the door and let it hang from the linkage and wire. Then shove the large gasket on from the small side. It's a struggle but it goes on. Then the small side goes on and bam done.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Valve/Solenoid for A/C Fresh Air Flaps