968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch bleeding problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 04:03 PM
John Niemeyer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch bleeding problem

I replaced the clutch hydralic line on my '93 968. It ruptured. Bled it according to Haynes 944 manual. But it still acts as if the system has air. No slave cylinder actuation.
When bleeding, fluid moves through system OK, with no air bubbles. I was very careful to keep fluid above the pickup hose. No evidence of leaks.
Anybody had this experience?
John Niemeyer
Old 08-27-2001, 11:16 AM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody had this experience?

Yessir! I followed all the usual advice about keeping the rear end high, the master cyl full, used the Motive power bleeder and still had about zero pedal. Tried puming fluid up from the bottom, no luck. Finally on the third try, after putting another half liter of bubble-free fluid through there, I got enough pedal to drive the car. Very carefully. Like almost no clutch. Other posted advice said that driving on a bumpy road will work the air out. I drove around for a while with no noticeable improvement...magically the next morning the pedal was firmer than ever and has been perfect since.

So...my advice is if you can get the thing driveable AT ALL, just drive around for a while and it might improve.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:47 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a power bleeder. The type that forces fluid down FROM the resivour. Not the kind that pulls it out of the bleed valve. Like this:

Pelican Parts sells one: here

Quick Reply: Clutch bleeding problem