968 Forum 1992-1995

MSD for 968

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:17 PM
Doug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post MSD for 968

Has anyone had any experience with using the multiple spark discarge units MSD,on the 968. I have had really good luck with these ignition units in other cars. They offer VERY clean firing and no missing at idle. I recently read a 944 post that claimed much better running. Thanks, Doug
Old 08-08-2001, 06:16 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I don't have any personal expierience with them, but I know they can be installed.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:21 AM
ksc jc
Track Day

Hi,
I've done it to my 951. Straight forward installation. I should think the installation
is the same with 968. To gain maximum benefit
makesure you upgrade the plug wires cause the
OEM wires has a resister in the connector which hampers maximum transfer of voltage &
current to the plugs.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:04 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put a Crane Cams HI-6S Ignition and LX-91 Coil on my S2 - while my car is not a 968, it is the 16 valved predecessor to the 968.

I am happy with it so far – the car is much smoother especially below 3,000 rpms. It is much easier to drive in heavy stop and go traffic and my heel-toe is smoother.bThe idle is also smoother. Not real sure if the car is any faster, but it sure feels faster.

It is well worth the $160.

Note that the Crane Cams unit has a rev limiter that does not need an adapter to work with the tach where as some of the MSD systems do. I do not recommend the Crane Cams coil since it does not fit into the existing coil location and it requires a special spark plug connector.

I replaced my OEM wires with solid core 8mm wires from Paragon products and they work great with the system, despite the warnings about using solid core wires with high performance ignitions and coils. The Beru connectors provide the proper resistance with no ill effects.

I am going to post a more detailed write-up of my modifications in about a week and a half, once I get the chip and Air/Fuel meter installed.

Quick Reply: MSD for 968