968 Forum 1992-1995

Front Under Spoiler on 968

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 04:06 PM
VickiLynn92115
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Front Under Spoiler on 968

I recently bought my first porsche. A 1993 968. Please pardon my ignorance and perhaps the simplicity - or stupidity - of this question. This car's front under spoiler is low under the car. Twice I have pulled into a parking space and up to the concrete block that let's you know you've pulled far enough into the space. Everything seems fine pulling in. (The tires do not go over the block. They meet it, and that's how I know when to stop the car.) But when I backed out of the space, the underspoiler caught on the cement block and ripped off half of the bumper. Insurance estimates $2,300 to fix it. How can I avoid doing this in the future? Is there something I can buy in the aftermarket that will let me know when to stop pulling into the space? I called the local Porsche dealer and they said "No." I've been driving for 33 years and have never had this happen. I also own a BMW Z-3, which is also low to the ground, and never had this happen.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:36 PM
Dan968
Track Day

Ouch! $2,300 hurts. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything out there that would be an easy fix for your concern without ruining the look of the car. There are those of us out there (myself included) who have lowered our cars slightly for competition purposes and have to be even more careful. That's about all I can suggest... be careful with your new baby. Of course, you could always try getting used to backing into spaces as well. Part of the rigors of owning a Porsche.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:52 PM
CBass
Racer

Hmm, do you have the separate chin spoiler underneath?

Quick Reply: Front Under Spoiler on 968